What size pipe can I put through a 2x4

Users who are viewing this thread

pmccurdy

Reaction score
Website
lamar.colostate.edu
I am finishing my basement. I put in an inside wall for a bar with a sink. I need to run my drain pipe through the wall. Can I run a 2" drain pipe through a two by four?

Thanks for any help,

Pat McCurdy :)

King3244

Reaction score
The OD of a 2 inch plastic pipe is 2 3/8 inches, you will need at least a 2 1/2 inch hole which leaves you with 1/2 inch on either side (obviously). Just make sure that you have nail guards in place so that you don't end up with a drywall nail through your pipe.

King

simpson-stud-shoe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pmccurdy

Reaction score
Website
lamar.colostate.edu
Appears to not be possible

Looking at the guidelines it appears it is not possible to put a 2" drain into a 2x4 wall. Is there another way to do this? Could I put steel plates on either side of the wall to support the pipe and then have less greater the 60% bore?

Jrejre

Reaction score
Why do you think that it is not allowed? The link has Figure 3 showing exactly what you are talking about. The note on Figure 3 says:

"60% allowed in any non-bearing wall or in bearing walls with not more than two successive studs bored and doubled."

Your situation is more complicated than that??

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Pat,

Are you trying to go through a vertical 2x4, the horizontal (bottom) 2x4, or both? Keep in mind that in a basement, it's extremely rare and unusual to have a load-bearing stud wall. All your 2x4 is doing is supporting drywall. So, for an oversize hole in a vertical stud, just use appropriate blocking above and below the hole to support and stabilize the stud. For a bottom 2x4, it is sufficient to nail the 2x4 to the concrete slab a couple of inches either side of the hole.
Around here, in new construction, the pipe stub goes in the slab first. Then, the wall is framed around the stub. There is no hole at all in the bottom 2x4, it just stops and starts again on the other side of the pipe. As long as it is properly nailed to the slab, it passes inspection just fine.

Taylor

Reaction score
If this is a 2x4 stud, then you will need at least 2-1/2" hole and probably something bigger (2-3/4" say). There is no way you can do that and stay in code, even with a non-load-bearing wall, and remember, code is a minimum.

You're going to have to make that a 2x6 wall, or leave it as a piece of hack work for some future owner to worry about (say when he decides to hang a big cabinet on that wall.....).

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
Be careful, there are many, many 2x4 stud, load bearing walls, just about every residential house w/ a basement built before 1980 probably has a load bearing wall right down the middle of the basement, later the steel beams came into favor.
That being said there are a lot of non-load bearing walls too. But it doesn't matter because you still shouldn't put a 2" pipe through the middle of one even though a lot of people do it.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
Teco makes a stud shoe for a single 2 x 4. it will stabilize the notched stud plus works as a nail plate.
here's a link

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
teco makes a stud shoe for a single 2 x 4. it will stabilize the notched stud plus works as a nail plate.
here's a link

Thanks for that. Furring out a 2x4 wall to be 2x6 would be a huge problem for that small of an area

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
A bar sink only requires a 1 1/2" drain so if your run isn't long you could bore a smaller hole.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi. It is to drain a washing machine. I'm pretty sure that requires 2"
If you're really worried about drilling a 2"pipe through a 2x4 non load bearing wall then you'll need to build another wall on front of it and put the piping between the two walls. I don't think anyone would do that or be worried about a partition wall. We drill them all the time. If the carpenter is worried about it (which he never is) then he'll do something to strengthen it.

Al S

Engineer
Reaction score
If you're really worried about drilling a 2"pipe through a 2x4 non load bearing wall then you'll need to build another wall on front of it and put the piping between the two walls. I don't think anyone would do that or be worried about a partition wall. We drill them all the time. If the carpenter is worried about it (which he never is) then he'll do something to strengthen it.
...as in a teco stud shoe?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
...as in a teco stud shoe?
Sure if he wanted to. You could, change the framing, reinforce or wherever anyone who cares to do this wished. Think about a giant window opening. A massive 8' hole in the framing. Or a door opening. These are built to handle a lack of studs. You can put a door next to a window if it's done right. Don't fret my pet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks