Flapper Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

gibbo

Reaction score
So I have two toilets that keep running and I know that it is the flapper that is the problem. So the easy fix is to replace it, but my problem is that the universal flapper at Lowes doesn't fit correctly. Half the time the flapper falls somewhat to the left and doesn't seal correctly. But even when the flapper is manually pushed to center it will sometimes run.

My toilet is a Peerless, but please forgive me as I have no idea what model it would be. Does Peerless have a special flapper? Will a universal flapper not work with Peerless? Thanks for any help that you can provide.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Did the old flapper seem to hook up to a pair of hooks so it hinge up and down? like the pic below

hunter02.jpg

If so lots of people make the mistake of buying the universal flapper that has a round ring in the middle to be used on the old lift wire Douglas valve and they seem to slide the rubber part around the overflow tube on the hook type which will not allow it to seat properly. So if your flush valve body has the hooks ensure that you remove the round ring part and hook it on properly. The next [picture is of a flush valve with out the hooks.

hunter01.jpg

Oh I also recommend if you bought a fluidmaster flapper or a no name one return it. By a Korky Flapper. Just remember that ring in the middle needs to be removed before using the hooks.

Last edited by a moderator:

gibbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I do have the flapper with the hooks. And I actually do have a Korky without a ring in the center. But it still seems to run. I am just not sure what the problem is.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Thanks for the reply. I do have the flapper with the hooks. And I actually do have a Korky without a ring in the center. But it still seems to run. I am just not sure what the problem is.

It may be an issue with the flush-valve. The seat may have a defect in it. Sometimes a little lime or calcium builds up on the seat face where the flapper rests causing it to leak. Give that a good once over. If that is fine, I return the flapper as defective and get another one. Korky is a very good aftermarket brand but they are susceptible to defects just like any other parts manufacture.

Also you could call Korky and question them about the brand water closet you have and which flapper should work. BimmerRacer did this and Korky sent him a box of flapper disks for his type water closet.

gibbo

Reaction score
The flapper is red with the chain. I will give Korky a call and ask about what kind of flapper I should be using. Thanks again for the help.

gibbo

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, would a Korky flapper that had the ring cut off be any different than a Korky flapper without the ring. Or once you cut off the ring they are pretty much the same? I hope that makes sense.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Now that I think about it, would a Korky flapper that had the ring cut off be any different than a Korky flapper without the ring. Or once you cut off the ring they are pretty much the same? I hope that makes sense.

They are pretty much the same, once the ring is cut off. Just need to make sure there is no extra material left behind after cutting that ring off, or it can cause it to bind up. I am glad you have the read one, the blue one with the tether is the only flapper Korky makes I will not recommend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks