Funky Tub Drain Setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Fein

Reaction score
I have a tub with an integral overflow in a second story bath. The drain for the tub is directly over a sistered joist. I REALLY don't want to move the tub or cut the joist so I set up the drain as shown.

I can't get the trap watertight (it is slightly misaligned so it doesn't seat properly)- so I will be taking this out anyway. I would appreciate any advice on a better setup moving forward.

Thanks.

IMG_6482.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

No problem with the overflow setup. It is done that way quite often. Scrap the trap with the locknut. They are bad news in a concealed location, and there is no benefit for using it. Get a glued together trap and you will not have to worry about leaks.

Fein

Reaction score
The tub and joist run parallel to each other. The overflow is cast into the tub lining. The drain comes off the tub perpendicular to the tub/joist. Is this a probelm?

Fein

Reaction score
Redwood-
Not sure I understand the comment about the waste and overflow. Water discharges out of the tub shoe horizontally before goes down a long 90 to the trap then about a foot to pass the vent. I filled the tub and it drained very well...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your waste and overflow...
Is it like the one on the left in the sketch below?

Wasteandoverflow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I think the what O/P said is that the over flow is molded in to the tub.
So no need for the W/O assembly I would like to a picture of the other
side of the tub.

Fein

Reaction score
Overflow pic attached.
Code calls for 1.5" pipe- I assume this will pass since it has greater cross sectional area- but not 100% sure. Anyone know of any problems with this type of overflow passing inspections?
Thanks.

Attachments

• OVERFLOW.jpg
    OVERFLOW.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 457
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks