High pitch humming/vibration/whining

Users who are viewing this thread

noviceplumber2

Reaction score
I have a high pitch humming or whining sound when I turn water on or off in my house. When I turn it on, the sound is less loud, but when I turn the water off I get this high pitch humming sound that swells into a louder sound before getting silent again. It seems like a vibration in the pipes.

Best I can tell is that is is coming from near the main water line running from the street into my basement. In the past I've been able to stuff some paper towels around the pipe where it comes through the foundation to lessen the vibration and the sound goes away.

It has been gone for a couple years now, but is back...no luck getting it to go away. I can make the sound go away if I turn off the main water valve into the house. In fact it stops immediately even if in "mid-sound". Of course, I need that open to have water in the house!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. These forums are a great help.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You might have a pressure reducing valve going bad.To check your pressure
you need to get a pressure gauge $10 at your local hardware.
Any pressure above 80PSI is to high,that could make your toilet fill valves
run.And cause the sound you are hearing.Attach the gauge to a hose
faucet or laundry tray faucet.And it will tell your pressure.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Have you got something that looks like this either where the line comes into your house or, in the outside meter box if you have one...

25AUB_Z3.jpg

Its the pressure thingy Mad Plumber is talking about...

noviceplumber2

Reaction score
Yes I do - tried to up the pressure a bit

by turning about a turn and 1/4 clockwise. It seemed to take care of it. It's a Watts valve...anyone know how much the pressure goes up by turning the nut that much? Not a real noticeable change in the faucets.

I have noticed that one of our faucets upstairs still generates the whining noise, although much less now than before I changed the pressure.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Most PRV are set at the factory @55PSI,if you adjust it the only way to
know the pressure is to check it with a pressure gauge.

noviceplumber2

Reaction score
Thanks....sound has returned now occasionally

Seems to come and go. Mostly when water is turned on for the 1st time in a day. Anyone know how much it would usually cost to replace that pressure valve? I assume a plumber would have to cut it out and replace new, right?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Takes about an hour for skilled plumber,Price a Watts 25AUB pressure reducing
valve,That should give you an idea of what it cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks