(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: American Standard shower control leaking

Default American Standard shower control leaking

I remodeled my bathroom 12 years ago and installed a new American Standard single handle shower control (the kind that looks sort of like a tongue depressor). I noticed recently that it was dripping from the shower head (about one drop every nine seconds) and so I replaced the ceramic cartridge with a new one (American Standard PN 023529-007A, cartridge kit including seals). Much to my chagrin, the dripping continues at about the same rate, even with the new cartridge and seals. Can you suggest anything else I might check that could be causing this leak?

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Being American (sub)Standard it may be the whole valve body. Not machined right or what have you.

Default American Standard shower Faucet leaking

Thanks Kingostall for your reply.

Since the valve is 12 years old and has functioned fine until recently, I suspect the problem is with an internal seal (but I'm guessing). Having replaced the ceramic cartridge, the only other part that I can find on the parts diagram is the "Pressure Balance Unit" which also appears to contain some O ring seals (I referred to the parts diagram for a model R 120, which this appears to be). Could leakage past one of those seals cause this kind of problem (dripping from the shower head)? Is there any way I can test or repair this without a total replacement of the pressure balance unit (the O rings don't seem to be available separetly, only come as a complete assembly with the PBU)?

Thanks

Allyner