drip irrigation with 1/2" copper pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

rati

Reaction score
I want to install a drip irrigation system, but the available pipes are only 1/2" copper. (Tapping into the main line would involve ripping a new driveway, so it's not an option.) Will the system work if I use an adapter between the 1/2" and a 3/4" control valve? I have fairly high water pressure--85 api.

Thanks.

Chris8796

Reaction score
If you stick to drip and limit your branches to ~ 4g/min you should be ok. You probably can get higher flow rates in your 1/2" pipe, but its not recommended to exceed flow velocities of 7 ft/sec (water hammer and other problems).

rati

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm planning on using a regulator to step down the water pressure to a level that will work with a drip system. Will this also reduce the flow velocity to a level that will avoid water hammer or other problems you mentioned?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks