American Standard seat holes are misaligned

Users who are viewing this thread

Justtaint

Reaction score
I've searched all over the internet and can't find a similar problem, but I'm hoping someone can come up with a better suggestion than just replace the toilet. The toilet was installed by the previous owner, who appears to have remodeled the bathroom sometime in the past 4-5 years. The problem is that the holes for the toilet seat were drilled incorrectly at the factory, and its impossible to center the seat.

I can take pictures of the problem (visually its pretty easy to see that they aren't right), if necessary. Not sure what model of AS toilet, if someone can tell me where the model # is stamped I'll look for it.

Is there any way to correct this?

Thanks

Justtaint

Reaction score
I'll try and post a picture later tonight, don't have time to take off the seat right now. Its not off by much maybe 1/4"-1/2" but its enough that the seat doesn't sit right.
studying.gif

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Poor quality is a real problem at American Standard. Toilet seats bolt patterns are standard spaced, so different brands of seats will fit any toilet.

Justtaint

Reaction score
Here's the best picture I could come up with, its kinda hard to tell, but I think you can see the holes are just a bit off.

Attachments

• DSC00702.jpg
    DSC00702.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 643

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Hammer & chisel will solve that problem.Sorry about that comment,but that
is bad.As many toilets that I have installed,never saw anything like that.
Take it back to where you got it.

Justtaint

Reaction score
That's the problem, it was in the house when we purchased the home. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the toilet.

Justtaint

Reaction score
Currently remodeling the master bathroom, which is forcing us to use the guest bathroom where this AS is installed. I just don't have the money in the budget to replace two toilets.

bigbubba

Reaction score
I've searched all over the internet and can't find a similar problem, but I'm hoping someone can come up with a better suggestion than just replace the toilet. The toilet was installed by the previous owner, who appears to have remodeled the bathroom sometime in the past 4-5 years. The problem is that the holes for the toilet seat were drilled incorrectly at the factory, and its impossible to center the seat.

I can take pictures of the problem (visually its pretty easy to see that they aren't right), if necessary. Not sure what model of AS toilet, if someone can tell me where the model # is stamped I'll look for it.

Is there any way to correct this?

Thanks
I realize it's 10 years later so you probably won't see this, but perhaps someone else has this problem ... I did. This has been annoying me for 10 years, and I finally got tired of it. I decided to buy a new commode. But then I figured, as long as I am going to buy a new commode, I'll try filing the bolt hole in the commode. But then, it hit me, it will be easier to just trim the plastic hole in the commode seat hinge assembly. So I pulled out a small utility knife, trimmed the hole on the appropriate side, and easy peasy, my toilet seat now sits properly a
ligned. I can't believe I let this annoy me for 10 years before this eureka moment hit me. Thumbs up.
s040.gif

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at these. They are toilet seat stabilizers from Black Swan Products. You can see the holes are eccentric to help realign and or stabilize the seat from shifting. There Item # 13270

BLK-13270.JPEG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks