Bushing to glue inside SCH40 PVC??

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
I am doing some remodel plumbing and will be significantly rearranging the location of the main stack. (See last paragraph for a more detailed description).

I want to cut off the old main stack (4") and use this spot as a location to plumb in a new smaller drain (2"). The way the old stack and other plumbing come together at the building drain has all the old fittings glued together either with street fittings or short stubs of pipe so that the hubs are all but touching each other.

I was thinking I could cut off the 4" street 1/4 bend at the hub of the 4" fitting and then glue in a reducing bushing that would allow me to glue the 2" pipe inside the 4" pipe. Is there such a bushing? If not how can I accomplish this transition?

The new plan will also leave me with an unused 2" port in the old plumbing. (I know you're thinking why not use that for the new 2" drain. I wish I could, read on.) This port has a street elbow in it that was poorly assembled and cracked at the hub end. I would have used this to attach my new 2" drain, but it won't pass an inspection. I would like to cut off the street end of the el at the hub of the fitting it goes into and then glue a cleanout fitting or cap on it. Again I need a bushing that will let me glue a smaller pipe (say a 1.5") inside the 2" so I can attach the cap or cleanout. Does this bushing exist? If not how can I do it.

There is one other possibility that would make this all go away. The top fitting in the stack is a 4x4x2x2 reducing double wye. The old 4" stack goes into the top from a horizontal run via a street 90 and two drains go into the wyes (one the cracked drain in question and the other a sewage ejector pump that will remain). The vertical wye is connected to a wye on its back that goes right through the foundation wall (drain is above the basement floor about 3') to the building sewer. (I am going horizontally to the new stack via the horizontal cleanout on the inside end of the wye.) This connection is made via a pipe stub that leaves about 1/2" visible. I could cut off the vertical double wye fitting and glue fittings for the new 2" drain and a replacement for the existing 2" ejector pump drain. However I don't think 1/2" is anywhere near enough for attaching another fitting.

Hope that all makes sense. Please help. :(

Thanks,

Joel

Jwray

Reaction score
DWV fitting for inside of pipe - any ideas?

A lot of views, but no replys. Anybody have a solution? I need to get going on this, but I don't want to start down the wrong path and plumb myself into a corner that won't allow the solution for the old to new transition.

Thanks,

Joel

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bushings go on the outside of pipes, not the inside. There are bushings for almost any size pipe, so you shouldn't have any problem finding what you need, but it won't go inside the pipe.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think he is referring to a reducing bushing, where one end goes inside the larger pipe, and a smaller pipe goes inside the bushing.

Jwray

Reaction score
Jimbo - yes that is what I'm looking for. The only bushings I can find fit inside a fitting hub and not inside the pipe diameter.

Who makes the bushings that fit inside the pipe diameter and are they code approved for drainage?

I need to fit inside 4" and 2" pipe.

Thanks,

Joel

Dave Meers

Reaction score
Can't you install a coupling and then use a standard size reducing bushing inside the open end of the coupling? I've never seen a PVC busing sized to fit inside a pipe. Just a thought.

Jwray

Reaction score
Wish I could, but...

Wish I could but the existing fittings are either street fittings or the hubs are connect so they are almost touching with a very short stub of pipe.

After I cut them apart there will be nothing to attach the coupling to. :(

Dave Meers

Reaction score
Now, I have a better idea of what you're up against. Any chance you can remove the short section of pipe from inside the hub after you cut it off. There are some special drill attachments to do this or you can use a saw blade to make a few cuts lengthwise inside the pipe and then carefully peel it out. It takes time and must be done with care. Good luck!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I certainly am not a pro, but I have do lots of PVC work with irrigation as well as plumbing, and I have never seen or heard of a bushing that would fit inside a pipe. I know I haven't seen it all yet, and I sure don't know it all, but the only bushing I know of that fit inside are steel and have male thread to go into a female threaded fitting such as an elbow or coupler which are connected to the outside of the pipe. So, I still say what you want doesn't exist. The way around your problem? I don't know without looking, but you may have to redo more than just that small section.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Gary you are CORRECT. My Bad! I carelessly thought he needed the bushing to fit inside another fitting, which is what a reducer bushing does. SO what he needs is a reducing coupling, which is also readily available.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Joel.
I have done this. In most cases it is easier to rip everything out and redo. If you would rather not do this, measure carefully (calipers) the ID of the pipe you want to go into. Then go to the store and find a coupling, reducer bushing or other straight piece whose OD is just a little larger. Take it to a machine shop and have them turn it on a lathe to a few thousands UNDER the previously measured diameter for a slip fit. Better yet, take a piece of pipe the same as the pipe it's going into and let the machinist trial-fit it for a comfortable slip fit. It should only cost you a few bucks. Make sure the wall thickness after machining is still reasonable.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
bushing

I want to know the answer too. But if it,s just transition, why cant you find a FERNCO to do the job? They were legal, maybe they still are. they work really well...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks