Toto Eco Drake - finish quality not as expected

Users who are viewing this thread

ifurita143

Reaction score
I just bought my first toilet - a Toto Eco Drake (C743E bowl, ST743E tank). I chose it due to the great reputation of Toto toilets on this forum, even though it costs nearly double the equivalent Home Depot special here in Canada.

I haven't installed it yet, so I can't speak to the flush performance. But I must say I'm disappointed by the finish quality, given that above-mentioned price premium.

As you can see from the photos below, they seem to have cut every possible corner when applying the glaze. The underside of the bowl is not completely covered, nor is the back of the tank. Probably not something I'll notice once it's installed, but I was expecting more from a Toto.

Of greater concern is the fact that the trapway is not completely glazed, as trumpeted in all of the Toto literature. The top and sides of the trapway are glazed, but not the bottom. The store had another bowl but it was even worse. It looks like they pour the glaze without bothering to check if the trapway is completely covered. Again, hopefully it's not something that will affect performance, but it's not what I was expecting from a Toto.

Any comments from other Toto Eco Drake owners would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_1108s.jpg
    DSC_1108s.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,264
  • DSC_1105s.jpg
    DSC_1105s.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,208

Tomw

DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
I just bought my first toilet - a Toto Eco Drake (C743E bowl, ST743E tank). I chose it due to the great reputation of Toto toilets on this forum, even though it costs nearly double the equivalent Home Depot special here in Canada.

I haven't installed it yet, so I can't speak to the flush performance. But I must say I'm disappointed by the finish quality, given that above-mentioned price premium.

As you can see from the photos below, they seem to have cut every possible corner when applying the glaze. The underside of the bowl is not completely covered, nor is the back of the tank. Probably not something I'll notice once it's installed, but I was expecting more from a Toto.

Of greater concern is the fact that the trapway is not completely glazed, as trumpeted in all of the Toto literature. The top and sides of the trapway are glazed, but not the bottom. The store had another bowl but it was even worse. It looks like they pour the glaze without bothering to check if the trapway is completely covered. Again, hopefully it's not something that will affect performance, but it's not what I was expecting from a Toto.

The back side of the tank is not normally glazed - at least it isn't on any of my American Standard toilets.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I can't think of any toilet I have ever seen that had the underside of the bowl glazed or the back of the tank where it goes against the wall glazed...

I would say maybe you have unreal expectations even for the best of toilets...

How is the glaze where you can se it when it is installed?

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
There was another thread with similar complaints. The traps on both of mine are similar to yours which really contradicts the "fully glazed trapway" they boast about. That said though, it doesn't negatively impact the flush quality and you will be very pleased with the product.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your perceptions may or may not be correct. Reports have indicated that if the porcelain is smoothed then glazed, stuff like toilet paper tends to stick easier. So, if you leave it rough, then glaze, it stays rough, and water can get under any that might tend to stick - a little more turbulance helps. So, it could just be truely glazed, just not smooth (intentionally).

There's more to engineering a toilet that works than most people think...Toto seems to have done it well, whereas some of the older American firms don't.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That said though, it doesn't negatively impact the flush quality and you will be very pleased with the product.

In fact in may even help.

Try throwing a baby wipe on your mirror, and one of the textured wall.
Which one sticks?
You don't want something so smooth that everything sticks to it.

Micp879

Reaction score
Just for comparisons sake, I checked my Mansfield Maverick toilet. The area under the bowl is 100% completely glazed, the area along the backside of the tank is not.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just for comparisons sake, I checked my Mansfield Maverick toilet. The area under the bowl is 100% completely glazed, the area along the backside of the tank is not.

You pulled the toilet off the floor to check it?:eek:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If your concerned about the outside of the trapway, as that is the pic you posted, that has no bearing on any toilets flushing performance. It does look like a substandard glaze job regardless.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I think one issue if the toilet is not glazed on the outside is cleaning
If its not glazed dirt will not come off as easy
Not a problem usually with the back of the tank
My wife weasr gloves when wiping down the toilet
As she wipes it down if she hits an unglazed part then the dirt will go into the unglazed part

knocknock

Reaction score

I just installed a Toto Eco Drake RF CST743E yesterday and I did notice similar things that you have. On mine, under the rim, where the holes are, it was not glazed. I also had what might be glazed but rough underside of the toilet (under where the Toto print). I also had an issue seating the tank to the toilet, I cannot achieve the three point contact that the manual is talking about. It felt I was going to crack either the tank or the seat if I wanted it to seat like the manual said, I have a gap no more than 1/32 of an inch where it suppose to be touching. BUT, it works like what people have been saying about Toto - great product!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks