(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: DIY causes Unrelated? problem was Watts Floodsafe

Question DIY causes Unrelated? problem was Watts Floodsafe

I replaced supply valve in upstairs bathroom. Seemed fine. Used downstairs toilet, flushed, and there is no water supply there. All other faucets/supply in the house work fine. Is it a block, an air pocket? What can I do? Please help.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Did you check to see if there is really no water pressure at the toilet feed line? You might just have debris plugging the fill valve in the tank.

Also, did you close any other shut-off valves in the house when before you did your work? Sometimes a gate valve will break internally when it is closed and though it feels ok when you re-open it, it's not moving the broken gate.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

An air pocket won't stop flow in a water supply pipe...the supply pressure will just push the air out and eventually, sometimes with a bunch of spitting and sputtering, it will all get pushed out and things will return to normal.

But, any time you shut the water off, you can dislodge some crud in the line and depending on the location, could clog things up. Also check that the supply line to the toilet that no longer works isn't one of the Watts Flood-safe hoses or valves. If so, the safety valve may have blocked flow. Most people think these are more trouble than they are worth, and the suggestion is to replace it with a different type.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks cacher. I took the fill valve apart and it is good; I opened the valve before reconnecting to the fill valve--Nothing. The only shut off I used was the main.

Aha! Jim Thank you, It was a Watts brand FloodSafe Auto Shut off connector. I took it off and it resets itself. We are in working order! Thank you all so much, I do not know what I would do with out the TerryLove community. You guys are great! You have saved me a good amount of money and I am now less angry in my household as night falls. You all saved the day! Thank you, thank you, thank you from Syracuse. Peace!
    Last edited by Pipe Dope; 03-27-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You might as well throw that thing away.
    The FloodSafe causes more problems then it's supposed to help.

What a waste of time those things are.

Yoy might want to have a look at this thread ti see how safe you really aren't with Watts Floodsafe connectors...

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?p=183626#post183626

Last edited by Terry; 03-27-2009 at 06:18 PM.

I will replace it this weekend. Thanks again to all in the community.

Thumbs down Agree Wholeheartedly these are Rubbish

Sure enough, after replacing the sink connections throughout my house, I had a majority of these "floodsafe" hoses start drip leaking from the compression fitting pointed out above. Ended up having to go back to normal steel braided without the floodsafe "protection." Thanks for this information before they started busting.

Default Floodsafe

Even if the Floodsafe supply does not break you have to turn them on slowly. Otherwise the "rush" of water to fill the supply line may be interpretted as a broken pipe and shut the Floodsafe off. then you have to turn the valve off and unscrew the Floodsafe to reset it.

DIY Junior Member

Default Wish I'd seen this weeks ago

Had a problem with the hot side of a brand new faucet "slamming" off after about 2 seconds of low flow. Called the MFR and they thought that the valve cartridge was faulty. After warranty hassles, I finally replaced the cartridge, installed the new, and BAM the same problem. Happened across this thread, and went up to check- sure enough, "floodsafe" was the problem. Problem fixed, wish I had figured that out a month ago- it would have been nice to have the hot water all this time.... well, at least now I have a replacement cartridge if the "new" one ever fails...