(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need a plug for a basement floor drain

Default Need a plug for a basement floor drain

I have a cast iron drain in the basement floor that has a hole for running a snake down the line. The hole is a bit over 1-1/2" and not threaded. I'm thinking of using a cone made of rubber or cork to plug it when not needed. Any ideas on where to get or what the part is called?

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

I guess if you don't mind the large thread and nut in the way you could use this:
    large thread and nut in the way pic

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    I guess if you don't mind the large thread and nut in the way you could use this:
    Is that what we called a test plug?

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

That's what I put in to google images to pull up that pic!

LOL I knew but could`nt think of the name untill I saw it.:

Default hole

My question would be why, if it is really a cleanout point, DOESN'T it have a thread in it?

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    My question would be why, if it is really a cleanout point, DOESN'T it have a thread in it?
    The drain is 50 years old. It might have been threaded at one time. The normal water flow is below the clean out.

Let me see if I can find a picture...

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    That might work. The only issue I can think of would be the ears on the nut. Could replace it with a standard nut. Thanks!

I haven't been able to find a good picture. It is called a floor drain with concealed cleanout. This picture is somewhat similar except: 1) Trap is about 30 feet to the right and 2) pipe continues to left of drain.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Here in Illinois it is pretty common for the clean out in a basement not to have threads in it, they install a expansion plug instead. They do make expansion plugs that are flush at the top so not to be a trip hazard. They also make a plug we call a "Dickie" plug also known as a cone plug has a rubber insert with coarse threads that inserts into the pipe and the plug which is cone shaped as it threads the tapper pushes the rubber against the wall for a tighter seal.

http://www.missionrubber.com/Products/TConeStoppers.php

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    Here in Illinois it is pretty common for the clean out in a basement not to have threads in it, they install a expansion plug instead. They do make expansion plugs that are flush at the top so not to be a trip hazard. They also make a plug we call a "Dickie" plug also known as a cone plug has a rubber insert with coarse threads that inserts into the pipe and the plug which is cone shaped as it threads the tapper pushes the rubber against the wall for a tighter seal.

http://www.missionrubber.com/Products/TConeStoppers.php

Sweet. That was what I was looking for. Now to find someplace that sells them. Thank you.

Default drain

The concealed cleanout would be completely useless, and redundant, unless the trap was not only at the drain, but integral with it.