Gwyneth does 1.28 flush as good as 1.6 Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

katzaw

Reaction score
Hello:
We really liked the double cyclone and styling of the Guinevere but passed because of the price and are just about to go with 2 Drakes with sanigloss. Now we have been distracted by the Gwyneth which has the DC.

We are concerned/question if we will lose any flushing "power" by going to the 1.28 Gwyneth over the Toto Drake 1.6?
We have a super plugger and we are praying that we can start to live w/o daily plunging. We looked at the Coroma Caravelle for this reason but decided to pass because of bowl critters, noise level, and ultra modern design.

SamC

Reaction score
The two-piece Gwyneth is less expensive than the one-piece, and flushes better due to the higher water level. The 1.6 Drake flushes 900 grams, while the 1.28 Gwyneth flushes 800 grams. The Gwyneth comes with CEFIONTECT and comfort height.

[video=youtube;Xn9_zctMge0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9_zctMge0[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a Soiree (1.6 gpf) and 2 one-piece Gwyneths (1.28 gpf).

I see absolutely no decrease in flushing power with the Gwyneths - if anything they seem to have a stronger flush. They have been thoroughly field tested in my house and seem, so far, to be virtually non-cloggable.

I do like the double cyclone system a lot.

katzaw

Reaction score
Thanks! now to source it

I really appreciate the quick help. So now begins the fun part by trying to find the Drake SG with washlet for my master, and a 2pc Gwyneth w softclose for the main. It's too bad that I'm in NJ and can't buy them from Terry. This site has been most helpful.

Do you have any opinions on the seats/washlets? I was thinking of the 200 for the master.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just used the included soft-close seats - really like 'em.

Don't be put off by the difference in MaP scores for one-piece vs. two piece Gwyneth. I have the one-piece because I like the updated look of one-piece toilets, and the fact that you don't have that seam to clean. Flushes just fine. You will be impressed by how quickly and effortlessly it just makes stuff disappear.

Tomw

DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Is Toto discontinuing their 1.6 gal flush toilets? The only thing on the MAP testing 13th edition is 1.28 Gal flush toilets.

https://www.map-testing.com/

The results obtained during this testing program are not guarantees of performance.

The reader is reminded that there are criteria in addition to solids removal that should be considered when selecting a toilet model, e.g., bowl wash, availability of replacement parts, potential for leakage, noise, physical longevity, etc.

MaP testing addresses only a single issue:the ability of a toilet model to completely remove solids in a single flush.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The people at MaP are trying to get the 1.28 gallon toilets in every home.
Toto makes the 1.6 still, but MaP isn't going to push them.

MaP does their testing with plastic wrapped paste.
They could test with rubber sausages and it would be just about the same.
They don't test toilets the way a homeowner uses them.
So I take their testing with a grain of salt.
It really doesn't say much of anything about toilets in general.

boonan

Reaction score
After scouring this great site and studying the MaP listings for all low and dual flush toilets, I went out today to six different distributors to decide between the ADA EcoDrake, the Aquia II and the ADA Caroma Caravelle. Then one of the really helpful sales folks pointed out the features of the Gwyneths, and I really liked both the 1 and 2-piece models. My question to you, Terry, is why the Gwyneths haven't made your "list" of recommendations? In your opinion, are they missing something? Thanks. (Whew! I'm with Kermit..."It Ain't Easy Being Green.")

katzaw

Reaction score
Gyneth designed as 1.28 and is new

I went to a water efficiency class at Toto. They said that the Gwyneth was designed to be a 1.28 from the get go rather than a retrofit of a 1.6. They didn't speak about discontinuing any of the 1.6 but did say that all of their new introductions from this point forward willl be in the 1.28. It also seems a a prett good relative value when you compare it to the price of the soiree or Guinevere which also have the double cyclone flush.

Good Luck

boonan

Reaction score
Now have the Gwyneth

I went ahead and got the one-piece Gwyneth and am already favorably impressed. I was a little worried that the combination of 1.28 with a lower MaP rating (than the two-piece) might be trouble, but so far *really* good. Being an HET with the ADA height, sanigloss and double cyclone flush, it seems like the best of everything to me. All in all I think it's a great value. Thanks!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I had the same concerns as you but continue to be impressed by the flush of the Gwyneth.

Bet you never thought you'd be posting on a listserv sharing experiences about toilets! Surprisingly interesting, isn't it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks