(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: replace soldered sill cock

Default replace soldered sill cock

I need to replace a soldered on sill cock due to broken seat. IT is in a brick wall. Approximately 1" of 1/2" copper is exposed between the brick and the solder joint. I think I can unsolder the broken sill cock. My concern is being able to solder in a new sill cock with so little tube exposed. Should I expect to be able to install a new one by applying heat only to the sill cock sholder?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Can you unsolder it in the basement and pull that section out? Then you could put the new one one easier (and get it off, too!). If the ceiling is finished, that may be a pain, too. I don't know, maybe one of the pros has some thoughts. My guess is you'd want to remove the stem first, as you may end up getting the whole thing hotter than those parts can normally handle.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default faucet

Your first problem will be to get all the water out of the valve so you can unsolder it. When you solder the new one on, you HAVE to heat the valve, not the pipe, in order to make a new joint, so if there is enough pipe on the old valve to unsolder it, then there is also enough to solder the new one.