directioal drilling geo

Users who are viewing this thread

killerloop

Reaction score
Anyone need geo drilled in??? curious to see what methods and applications you are all using

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I am planing on drilling 12 wells for a ground source heat pump myself this summer.

The current plan is to drill each well 60 feet down and insert a smaller tube inside to make a closed loop. There would be a cap at the bottom along with a one time use drill paddle bit.

I've also looked into directional drilling using a star configuration. In this method you start in a pit drilling downward and curving upwards. Once the bit pops up someplace in the distance a backreemer bit and a swivel is attached. A plastic pipe is then folded in half and the resulting pair is pulled back to towards the pit until the far end is pulled below the frost line.

killerloop

Reaction score
Bill,

When you directional drill in the pin wheel style grid, after you pullback the product, don't you have to pump bentonite into the bare hole? or just pump bentontie the entire application? also if you use a 4.5" bit why is there a need for a reamer? is the product over 2.5 dia??? Reason I ask is I'd really like to start drilling some geo,,, in between my fiber jobs.

Also it would seem to me that each job would have variables as in which method would best suit the lot. Probably need a long lot to do the directional and then why would you ever want directional if vertical is an option... Can't vertical be used in almost every application???

Last edited:

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Around here we have about 30 to 60 feet before you hit rocks. That means that the directional drilling is a lot easier and just uses a paddle bit. Drilling really deeply as in done in the large casing deep geo wells requires a lot more work.

The back-reamer would only be used if you are drilling with a small bore rig.

You don't need to use bentonite as long as you do not go deep enough to risk contaminating the ground drinking water supply. The hole would fill in over time by itself. You should target the 10 to 30 foot deep area.

Check your local code rules since this is what made me switch to the vertical plan. Some areas require all holes below a set level be grouted with an approved concrete mix and you might have to have a drilling license.

For long skinny lots you could start with a trench and run parallel runs.

killerloop

Reaction score
Bill,

I own a directional bore rig and was looking to do some of these installs in between my fiber jobs. Whose the biggest company here in MN doing these installs?

Regards,
Spencer

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I don't know of anyone doing directional geo. I've only heard story's of people trying it by fishing one pipe at a time and connecting up the ends. Pulling a pair back is the easiest method so far.

The main reasons that I think directional drilling and vertical drilling are both about to become more common is that energy costs are likely to increase and people are starting to think longer term again.

I'd like to put a large deep system in both my place and at one Alt energy research location. Both are up here in north central MN.

You might want to start talking to the Heat pump reps since they might know who's putting systems in.

killerloop

Reaction score
I don't know of anyone doing directional geo. I've only heard story's of people trying it by fishing one pipe at a time and connecting up the ends. Pulling a pair back is the easiest method so far.

The main reasons that I think directional drilling and vertical drilling are both about to become more common is that energy costs are likely to increase and people are starting to think longer term again.

I'd like to put a large deep system in both my place and at one Alt energy research location. Both are up here in north central MN.

You might want to start talking to the Heat pump reps since they might know who's putting systems in.

Thanks Bill

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks