Pressure Guage Not Working- Pump Running

Users who are viewing this thread

tsingerjr

Reaction score
I have a couple issues here:1) Loss of water pressure 2) Pressure Guage Not Working

I have a jet pump with a 30/50 pressure switch. In the past the pump would run on a 20/40 cycle, not 30/50 like the swich was manufactured to do. Of late the pump seemed to run alot more frequent, so after checking i noticed that the guage was sticking at 40lbs.

I replaced the guage tonight and now it won't register at all. THe pump runs, builds up the required pressure and then shuts off, but the dial shows 0. I put the old dial back on and now that only shows zero as well.

Regarding the pressure lost- I've noticed that while in the shower, once the pressure drops, the water trickles out of the shower so bad that the shower squeals, until the pump runs and builds up pressure. In the past, you never noticed a pressure drop prior to the pump running.

tsingerjr

Reaction score
Jet Pump

Its a sinle line Jet Pump. When I woke up this morning it showed 25 psi. As we were using the water , the pressure dropped to 20 psi and the pump kicked on and ran for a few minutes and kicked off, but the guage only showed 25 psi. How do you prime the pump. Theirs a threaded plug at the top that has a "Prime" sticker by it. The problem is that when you remove the plug, there isn't a hole drilled through the pump body to add water??

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Use a screw driver to clean that hole under the plug, they rust shut over time.

then add water though the hole until it overflows, watch the level and if it goes down, add more and repeat until it holds. If it doesn't hold fill, you have a leak.

You could be running out of water in the well.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If the pump builds pressure, it's primed already.

I'm not sure how you could make two gauges read zero when the pump is building up and shutting off. Gauges are very cheap, that may be the reason your not having any success with them. When you pull the gauge out next time, be sure the hole it screws into is clear through into the pump casting.

bob...

tsingerjr

Reaction score
Don't know If its a shallow well or deep well jet pump?

I'm not sure if my pump is a shallow well or deep well. I've attached pictures of it. I thought it was a single line, but now I'm not sure. I guess that's ejector on the front?? Help.. Its a Dayton 9K573 1/2 HP.

Attachments

• pump front 1.jpg
    pump front 1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 482
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 528

Speedbump

Reaction score
It's a shallow well jet pump. Teel is a name Grainger uses to disguise the real brand name of one of many pumps they sell and label. That thing resembles an old Rebel which was one of Flint and Wallings cheap pumps that they didn't dare put their name on. That doesn't mean anything today, cause it's probably built better than anything you could buy today.

I still can't help you with your going to zero problem though. It makes no sense.

bob...

tsingerjr

Reaction score
Pump Pressure

Thanks alot- The pressure seems to be holding ok now. It just kicks on at 30 psi and off at 40. I was thinking about replacing the pressure switch.
As far as it being built well, it runs pretty good its just REALLY loud. Wonder if it can be lubercated or something?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Chances are that motor has ball bearings. Putting oil on them would ruin them for good. They need grease. Fractional horsepower motors are not greased in the field. The motors are taken apart and new bearings are installed.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks