PEX System and Filtration

Users who are viewing this thread

mvilla888

Reaction score
Afternoon all.....

Have a new home with a PEX water system off a well, with a softening system. Having some issues with typical well water smell & taste...have a couple of quotes on a whole house carbon filtration system (yikes)....started thinking that I really only need to filter the cold water going to sinks and such for drinking/cooking. With the PEX system, I would think it would be easy to drop a couple of filters between the manifold and the line going to the sink I want to filter.....but I'm having no luck finding an appropriate filter for this application. Anyone know of anything on the market that would do the job?

Thank you.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a typical well water smell...
Whatever is causing yours needs to be identified and treated...

What does it smell like?

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
You need to have your water tested at a professional lab for chemical and bacteria ... poke and hope is not the way to tackle a water problem. Well water shouldn't have odors.

mvilla888

Reaction score
Follow-up

Not sure why you folks responded in that way....I have done the testing, and was just asking a question about product availability.

Water has been tested, clean for bacteria, Iron is med to high (don't have numbers as I'm at work now). Smell is an occasional rotten egg smell. Have had two quotes for fixing....one was for an R/O system, the other was for carbon filter....both were pretty expensive, so was looking for something along the carbon filter route that I could install myself into the system and improve the drinkability of the water.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Is the odor in the hot water only, cold water only, or both?

Is the odor constant? If it comes and goes, it usually is caused by bacteria of some type. If so you do not want to use an RO or carbon.

A faucet tip may be contaminated. Or you could be smelling the odor from the drain trap.

As little as .3 ppm of iron is too much for an RO. And carbon is a bad choice if you have iron.

The best test for odor in your water is YOUR nose, no lab, Certified or not, is near as good. And most odors are gone by the time a lab opens the sample container and they still bill you for the test...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks