HVAC in Attic Noisey

Users who are viewing this thread

vman

Reaction score
I have an HVAC installed in my attic. The bottom of the system is essentially the vent in my ceiling as the return. Extremely loud (thanks dad). I was thinking about having it lifted, closing off that vent and then run a return on the floor of the attic down (essentially the celing of my hall) and putting the return there. Does anyone see any issues with this and do you think it will dampen my noise?

thx

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to determine where the noises that are offensive are coming from. They could be from the volume of air, duct vibrating, the compressor vibrating, an out of balance fan, and other things. The size of the duct may not be sufficient or the filter(s) may need to be replaced or cleaned, or relocated.

No simple answer...just extending the duct somewhere else may not solve your issues. This is one reason, at least in a home, the a/c unit is usually mounted outside.

vman

Reaction score
Hvac

I should have been clearer. It's just super loud. I hear the burner kicking on and all the operations of the unit.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some models are much quieter than others...probably not much you can do about it now. A second layer of drywall on the ceiling with special flexible caulk or isolation channels would isolate it from the room, but if it is coming through the ductwork...that won't work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks