Tankless HW Heater and High Efficiency Washer

Users who are viewing this thread

purcjn02

Reaction score
My husband and I would like to install a tankless hot water heater in our home, but we are concerned that it may affect our high efficiency washing machine (LG WM2016C). The washing machine takes in water in short spurts, and we're wondering if the tankless hot water heater will not be able to heat water up fast enough.
Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Any recommendations?
Julie

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My husband and I would like to install a tankless hot water heater in our home, but we are concerned that it may affect our high efficiency washing machine (LG WM2016C). The washing machine takes in water in short spurts, and we're wondering if the tankless hot water heater will not be able to heat water up fast enough.
Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Any recommendations?
Julie

Yes it will effect the washer nagativly and the heater as well. Save your money and headaches, put in a high efficiency tank heater.

ChuckS

Reaction score
Yes it will effect the washer nagativly and the heater as well. Save your money and headaches, put in a high efficiency tank heater.

I agree that a tankless is not optimal for dishwashers and washing machines. We had to install a recirculation loop to heat the water before turning on the machines. The good news is rinse is usually cold water.

I like our tankless and do see the energy savings but have to admit they are not machine friendly.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Where are you located Chuck and what kind of water temperatures do you see over the winter?

ChuckS

Reaction score
Where are you located Chuck and what kind of water temperatures do you see over the winter?

Denver CO... It can drop below zero but generally in the 20's... (EDITED to ADD: this is outside temp, I have no idea what the cold water temp is but the plumber recommended I get the big tankless in this area because of the cold water temp).

I should also add, the problem with our tankless is the plumber installed it in the opposite end of the crawl space. Opposite all facets, opposite anything that uses hot water and opposite any logic now that I see how it works. If I had of knew then what I know now...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumber?

You had a PLUMBER install it and he moved it AWAY from the major points of use? Quel fou! The best location for tankless heaters is CLOSE to the usage points, in fact the ability to move them to where the water is needed is really the major selling point for installing them.

ChuckS

Reaction score
You had a PLUMBER install it and he moved it AWAY from the major points of use? Quel fou! The best location for tankless heaters is CLOSE to the usage points, in fact the ability to move them to where the water is needed is really the major selling point for installing them.

He claims he had to put it where he did because of my natural gas service. There is a 3/4" in gas line running about 20' to the furnace which in the past went about another 7' to the old tank water heater. He said the Tankless needed it's own gas line and it had to be short to supply the 200K BTU my unit maxes at. So he ran a new gas line from the meter which is about 5' in length, however, the water lines are a good 35' of 3/4 pipe... So now I am trying to invent the optimum recirculation loop to reduce the time it takes to get hot water. I am not savvy enough to move the heater and can't afford another plumber.

So I guess I should say to the OP, a tankless might work great for your washer if the distance from the heater to the washer is short. In my case, I have a Paloma 7.4 Series tankless heater which takes approx 6 seconds from the time you turn on a facet before it is kicking out hot water. Then you have to consider the flow rate multiplied by the distance from the heater to the washer to get an idea of how much cold water has to be purged from the pipes before you get any hot water.

It may work well if you can get the tankless heater within a few feet of the machine.

jbbcd

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in Wisconsin & have an electric t/l water heater!
We buy tide cold water soap! :eek:
Wash everything with cold water & works great! :D

If we do need hot water, well then just run hot water for a bit to get all the hot water lines nice & hot. We never have a problem doing this either when needed. :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in Wisconsin & have an electric t/l water heater!
We buy tide cold water soap! :eek:
Wash everything with cold water & works great! :D

If we do need hot water, well then just run hot water for a bit to get all the hot water lines nice & hot. We never have a problem doing this either when needed. :)

How many days does it take to fill the bathtub?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks