Basement finish

Users who are viewing this thread

chukakid

Reaction score
Hi, I'm helping my daughter finish her basement and have a couple of questions on the electric plan.
1. I've been told we need to use ARC fault circuit breakers, so wondered if required for all rooms or just the living areas?
2. Next to the bathroom will be a small bar area with a bar sink, so can I use the GFI circuit in the bath for also the counter area or the wet bar? I don't think I can but wanted to check. thanks

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
1) Depends on what code cycle you are under and what amendments there are.
You certainly can use them for whatever circuits you want regardless of the code.

2) NO. You cannot share this circuit. The bath receptacle circuit cannot be shared with any other type of room or area.

chukakid

Reaction score
Thanks Speedy, so does that mean that I have to have one circuit for the bathroom GFI? Seems a tad wastful. Or could I put the whole bathroom circuit on a 20amp circuit including the GFI by the sink?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Thanks Speedy, so does that mean that I have to have one circuit for the bathroom GFI? Seems a tad wastful. Or could I put the whole bathroom circuit on a 20amp circuit including the GFI by the sink?

Yes you can put everything in one bathroom on one 20 amp circuit as long as you use #12 for the entire circuit including the light.
This circuit is not allowed to leave this one bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks