Hot water baseboard problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Pbaxter

Reaction score
1 - Is it normal for the circulating pump to run all the time, even when heat is not needed?
2 - Is it normal to be able to hear the pump running ( the sound seems to be conducted through the pipes)?
3 - One room's heater doesn't give off any heat. Its valve seems to be open. I've been told to drain it to remove air bubbles - how is this done?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Usually, the pump only runs when the thermostat calls for it, but if you have individual controls in each room, it is possible it could run the entire heating season. You'd have to know your system. It could be a defective control which could be a relay, or other circuit.

If you can hear the pump, it may be nearing the end of its service life. They are usually quiet unless it is oversized, or it is pumping without any water (i.e., dry) or there is air in the lines (bubbles). If the pump doesn't move water while the boiler is on, the boiler loop can boil, which will make all sorts of noises and problems.

There may be purge valves at the radiators, and trying to tell you how without being there or seeing a few pictures would be really tough. The easiest way to purge air is at the highest point in each run. Basically, open the bleed valve until it runs clear of air (no more bubbles), then close it.

Pbaxter

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim. The non-working radiator is in fact at the top of its run. I'll start there.
And I'll check the pump wiring. The previous owner was renovating the house to flip it and may have wired the pump on to prevent freezing.

All my previous houses were forced-air, so I'm trying to learn about the water baseboard technology.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks