Well Pump Wireing

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
My submerged deep well pump stopped working. I am not physically able to pull the pump so I got the only well pump repairman that I could locate to do the job. As usual, he didn't do the job like I would have--in to big of a hurry.
We found that the pump needed replacement and the existing connections were made with water tight connections. The repair man said they were not necessary so he used wire nuts to connect the wires at the pump.
I do not like this since the connections are under water.
What problems could this cause?

Giles

Reaction score
Wire nuts under water :eek: I think not... all underwater electrical connections need the plastic water tight crimped connectors, or the heat shrink with the silicone seal stuff.

What problems will you have... electrolysis, which will rapidly corrode the wire until there is no connection, or possibly trip the circuit breaker. Was this guy licensed?

witch

Yes he was licensed. I didn't have many choices. I made seven calls and no one was interested! I was without water for two days, pump went out Friday night.
I will get someone to help me pull the pump and do it right!
Ninety persent of the work I have done in my lifetime is redoing the work someone else did.
I knew this connection was wrong, but the job was not nearly as complicated as I thought. Pump was about 125' deep. Needless to say, I will not use him again or recommend him.
Thanks for the reply.

acwilli

Reaction score
Well Pump wiring

Personally I would call your township or city for the proper instalation guidelines. If this guy did not go by those standards, then he is subject to be sued if he does not fix the problem. I would say that there should not be a charge on it either.

Good Luck aw

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
I know this is beating a dead horse, but you will be lucky if the pump even runs at all.
Even if the wire nut had a sealer inside, they will not last more than a day or so.

index.php

If the (well guy), and I use the term loosely, has a license, he can be fined.
Each state has a licensing board, and each well licensee can and is held accountable for his or her actions.

Is there any reason given for no one else wanting to do the work?

Travis

Last edited by a moderator:

Giles

Reaction score
I know this is beating a dead horse, but you will be lucky if the pump even runs at all.
Even if the wire nut had a sealer inside, they will not last more than a day or so.

If the (well guy), and I use the term loosely, has a license, he can be fined.
Each state has a licensing board, and each well licensee can and is held accountable for his or her actions.

Is there any reason given for no one else wanting to do the work?

Travis

Every one that I called was retired or not physically able to do the work. Strange thing---THREE of these people recommended this person! Just my luck, one jackleg in my county doing this type work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks