how deep can a p-trap go into bsmt floor

Users who are viewing this thread

basementbathroom

Reaction score
shower is 2" drain and i want to vent with 2" as well, the sewer line is 11" deep in the cement floor, can i lower my trap below the sewer line then come up to the vent and slope down to the sewer from there, this is so i can fit everything under the new floor

thanks for your help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From the outlet of the p-trap, you can only go down. That means that the bottom of the p-trap will be below the drain line.

basementbathroom

Reaction score
will vent work properly

what i want to do is go a foot to sixteen inches straight down from shower drain, hook on semi-circular curved part of trap, then travel straight up and connect to elbow outlet of trap at a height that would allow me to connect the vent so it will be under the floor at a decent height above the sewer drain line ( which is 11" under cement), from the vent i have to travel about 10' to the sewer drain
i could put the trap even deeper if allowable, just want to confirm that vent will still work if i do so

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't want to do that...the trap being that deep first means you'll have a change for accumulation of crud in the pipe that you'll smell and have to clean and, a trap that deep just won't work properly. You can run your vent up from the drain line within the allowances if you set the trap to what you have now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks