Removing/Replacing Sink from Granite Countertop/Vanity Top

Users who are viewing this thread

wagcheck82

Reaction score
I bought a 31" pegasus granite sink with the intention of swapping the white undermount sink for a bisque one. I need to remove the white sink, but when I remove the mounting bolts (wing nuts pin down the metal flanges that support the sink), there is what looks to be an epoxy that is holding the sink to the granite.

I've seen that I can apply heat to the seam, and cut the old sink and epoxy away from the granite, but that I run the risk of cracking the granite. What is my best method to do this swap? I have a heat gun, and I suppose I could use my torch, but I just don't want to ruin my granite countertop!!!

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really depends on what it is really attached with. Is the existing sink porcelain, or cast out of something? You might get some help at www.johnbridge.com. They have some people there that deal in stone for their livelihood and would have some idea on how to do this. It would be easier if you could remove the top.

WOrse comes to worse, a diamond cup grinder would probably work.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
that sounds like fun

you better be alwfully careful with that little project..

see if the material used is hard or soft....

if you are lucky and it is soft,
you might be able to get a razor knife or
something akin to a steak knife in between the granite and the old sink.... then you got to saw and pry your way all around that sink,...

this I have done before with a serrated steak knife
but I was lucky enough to only have to saw through old silicone..

good luck....have fun.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks