Caulking nightmare on tub wall kit install

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwhitman

Reaction score
I installed a tub wall kit recently and the install went well. I waited 5 days to take the first shower and with-in 3 days one area od the caulking between the tub and the wall started to peal off the tub side and then as I scratched it with my finger nail it flacked away. I cleaned the area up and re-applied
( Perhaps a bad spot in the tube) This time I put a oil heater in the tub and let the caulking cure for 7 days. Then began showering again. 5 days later another area started to do the same thing. The caulking appears to be not staying stuck on the tub side. This is also seemed to be why it occurred the first time. I thought perhaps the tub was too cold, causing it not to stick well. Prior to showering the caulking in both cases looked real good. Any ideas on what might be happening? The tub doesn't appear to be moving. I read where some folks recommend filling the tub with water while the caulking sets. I really am having a hard time knowing what to do next. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am using polysealseam kitchen and bath Ultra. I have applied caulking and silicone for years and never have encoutered such trouble.
Thanks,
J

Tub Refinisher

Tub refinisher
Reaction score
Website
www.permaglazenorthdallas.com
Did you intall the walls around and existing tub? If so, it sounds like you may have had silicone caulk previously that was not totally removed. Silicone caulk is extremely difficult because it leave a residue that requires a tedious process of both physical and chemical removal. If it is not COMPLETELY removed, nothing will stick to it - not even more silicone.

There are numerous threads on this board that deal with this issue, so I won't go into detail about the removal process. I usually wind up doing a lot of scraping (razor scraper), sanding (80 grit) and solvent wiping (acetone), and a lot of elbow grease, going over it numerous times and looking very closely for any remaining residue. But until it is completely gone, you'll never get your new caulk to stick.

Good Luck!

Jwhitman

Reaction score

The caulking I used was polyseamseal kitchen and bath ultra. I have since spoke with them and it appears the caulking has expired. It's too old. I just bought it (What's up with that) They are sending me replacement tubes to re-do it. The caulking is not silicone based and I installed the tub walls around an existing tub with tile walls. The tile wall went up only 2 feet. I scrapped with a razor blade and used alcohol to clean.
Thanks, I will look up the other threads.
J

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks