Capping off a Toilet Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnnybeltway

Reaction score
All,

A friend of mine wants to remove a toilet in his basement. I have been searching for a product that will fit into the pipe opening and sit flush with the floor. Ideally i would like it to be recessed into the floor so we can finish it off with some concrete. The pipe is likely cast iron as the house likely pre-dates PVC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's a little tough...if properly installed, the flange will be higher than the floor, and just capping it will leave it higher than the floor. If you can remove th eflange, you could grind or smash the pipe (if it is higher than the floor) then fit a plug in there. You could probably fashion a plug and then fill with concrete, but you'd need to be careful not to fill up the whole pipe and block other drains. Don't do this if you ever want to consider using that for a toilet again, though!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks