Elongated American Standard Bowl, which tank do I use?

Users who are viewing this thread

BeeJay

Reaction score
I was "gifted" with a brand new elongated American Standard bowl, (type unknown). It has a two hole opening for a tank, but I have NO idea what tank I should buy to complete the installation, ....or the parts, gasket, etc. to connect the two.

After reading the reviews on the American Standard, most of which were negative, :rolleyes:I am wondering if I should even go to the expense or trouble of trying. Any suggestions or advise anyone?:confused

BeeJay

Reaction score
Great idea Terry. I will try to do this as soon as I have the means to post it!
Terry for president!~!

BeeJay

Reaction score
Terry, I found the shipping carton my son had ready for the trash pickup. The identity of the bowl is no longer a mystery! It's an American Standard RIGHT HEIGHT EL BOWL, 16 1/2 high, and takes a 4393 tank.
However, the next problem will be if it's a good, functional, non problematic bowl, and also, if the entire setup will be worth the time and expense.
This will have to be a "home job" my son will have to do, but knowing what connections, parts to buy, and any assembly tips would really be a godsend.
I'm SO glad I found your forum. :)
Thank you so much!

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Terry, I found the shipping carton my son had ready for the trash pickup. The identity of the bowl is no longer a mystery! It's an American Standard RIGHT HEIGHT EL BOWL, 16 1/2 high, and takes a 4393 tank.
However, the next problem will be if it's a good, functional, non problematic bowl, and also, if the entire setup will be worth the time and expense.
This will have to be a "home job" my son will have to do, but knowing what connections, parts to buy, and any assembly tips would really be a godsend.
I'm SO glad I found your forum. :)
Thank you so much!

I searched that model on the amstd website that's the "retrospect" toilet bowl you have it's flush system is the same as the cadet (not cadet 3) you might have clogging issues with it.

BeeJay

Reaction score
That's more or less what my son said, who seems to be "old school" about toilets. He said his girl friend's mom had "high performance" type toilets all over their house and had flushing problems. He informed me that some things, (like toilets) weren't made to be water savers. Kind of like installing low water usage dishwashers.

Thanks for the info. I think this one may go to the curb...or at least my next garage sale, with the appropriate warning. Maybe some guy who lives alone and works all day might want it, as opposed to my high usage family.
:rolleyes:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Good performance toilets are plunged less then the old ones.

The church I go to had American Standard Cadet 5.0 gallon toilets that plugged all the time.

I replaced them with 1.6 gallon Toto Drake and Toto Ultramax toilets.
They work without the plugging.

And you do save a lot on the water bill at the end of the month.

The last house I had used a 5.5 gallon Norris toilet.
That one plugged too. The Toto Ultramax that replaced it doesn't.

The comment about the Retrospect American Standard bowl was based on the poor rating that it had gotten. The Retrospect would never be considered a high performance bowl.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If it was a car parked next to similar performers it would be with the Yugo's Vega's and Pinto's....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks