hole drilled in foot valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick.a

Reaction score
Last fall when I pulled the drop pipe from my shallow well (Jet pump, 15 ft suction line) I noticed a very small hole in the side of the foot valve body that squirted water from above the closed valve when I lifted out the poly pipe filled with water. This is undoubtedly what was causing the very, very slow loss of pressure that we were experiencing.

Did the valve come this way? Or did someone drill this hole to cause the system to drain itself down to the water level to prevent freezing in the winter? I shut the system down for the winter cause it is a summer only place, but the prior owner was wintering over for a few years.

And if this hole is for "auto-draining" the drop pipe, should I just leave it alone and trust it to drain the pipe, or should I continue to pull the pipe each fall? And if I let the hole drain the drop pipe, will it also drain the pump (1/2 HP Goulds jet), or will I need to continue to pull the plugs from the pump?

Rick.a

Reaction score
Can it be true that no one has ever seen a hole in a foot valve?

It was clearly drilled, and not a crack. My question is "do you think this is a good idea to prevent winter freezing in the drop pipe, or should I replace the valve and continue to pull the pipe each fall?"

Rick.a

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

So, if I pull the drain plug from the pump, at shutdown time in the fall, the water in the drop pipe should drain to the water level in the well?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Not a good idea to assume that the pump drained itself. Pulling the bottom most plug is always cheap insurance.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks