Hand held shower diverter question

Users who are viewing this thread

soldered24

Reaction score
Hello, seems like some good advice on this forum,so heres a challenge for someone. I am installing a corner shower and would like to install a hand held shower at a lower level than the fixed head. I have a single handle Moen tub/ shower valve and since the tub spigot gets the heave ho, why not connect the hand held to the bottom tub outlet on the valve and pipe it up to desired location in shower, with an on/ off valve at the wall in the shower? I am concerned that there may not be enough flow through the hand held to prevent water to divert to the upper head. I'm trying to avoid a costly single handle diverter valve and trim, and don't like the in line diverter on the fixed head solution. I've searched in vain, and my next plan is to actually rough in and crank up the water to test it. Any ideas?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The hand held will ALWAYS pretend to be a diverter and direct at least some of water to the shower head. IF you install a valve between the faucet and the shower head to prevent it from happening there is always the chance that you will decide that you do not have to turn the faucet off if the hand held has a shut off on it, which you would want for your purposes. If you did that you would create a cross connection, and that will cause additional problems.

soldered24

Reaction score
valve

Thanks for the response. I see now why a proper diverter valve is the only surefire way to do the job. Figures;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks