Vessel sink headaches

Users who are viewing this thread

jdzialak

Reaction score
I installed a non vented Glass bowl Vessel sink a few years ago in my bathroom with a Push-button umbrella drain. It drained slow. I added a "cheater vent" after the trap and it helped a little bit. I've suffered with slow draining long enough. I've decided to replace it.

I just bought a vented ceramic vessel sink, with a vented push-button drain.
It drains super fast, but leaks terribly. The sink has one vent in the drain hole. The drain has two holes for vents on opposite sides of each other. I have tried both a rubber gasket, or plumbers putty between the sink and the marble counter top as a gasket. I am still getting water between the drain and the hole in the sink that the drain goes through. It begins to leak once the water flow is off.

PS- when using the non vented drain, there are no leaks...just super slow draining again.

Any ideas on how to solve this? I followed sink and drain installation instructions. The prob seems to be that there is no way to seal the vent hole in the sink, to where the vent hole in the drain is. They line up, but water leaks all around it.

thanks,

Joe

abak_bowl.jpg

Typical Vessel Lav picture added by Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

The "cheater vent" probably had nothing to do with the sink draining better because it does not cure the reason it happened. The new drain's openings, whether 1 or 2, have nothing to do with it leaking. They also do not have to line up with the sink's openings, and it would be unusual if they did. You are not assembling something correctly, or you have a defective sink.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdzialak

Reaction score
Thanks.
So...the sink came with nothing but a sink.
The drain only came with a fluted washer that lays over the drain hole, and a beveled washer that goes over the threads under the counter top.
What would you suggest for between the sink and countertop? Plumbers putty did not seal enough. caulk? Should I caulk around the hole in the counter, and lay the sink on it, or caulk the sink?
I also feel that the beveled washer is not sealing well underneath, letting all of the pooled water surrounding the drain in the sink hole to leak out.

Thank you

Joe

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the water is leaking down the threaded portion of the tailpiece, sometimes adding some plumber's putting on the threads before attaching the clampoing nut will resolve this....without seeing where it is acgtually leaking, everything is just a guess.

jdzialak

Reaction score
rookie mistake folks...
the diagram included with the drain showed the beveled washer under the countertop. It goes between the sink and countertop.

It has no leaks and drains fast now.
Thanks for the replies.
Lotsa good stuff here.

Joe

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

If your sink has an overflow, which you imply when you say it was "vented" then the drain seals to the SINK ONLY. You cannot use it to clamp the sink to the countertop. You assemble the drain to the sink using putty or silicone on the top and the washer on the bottom, then you put the sink on the countertop and secure it somehow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks