Remodeling my bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

omahan

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my bathroom and would like a new faucet, spout, overflow and drain. Can I replace the visible parts without getting into the hidden parts? I have a 1975 era single handle faucet. It turns on by turning clockwise. This increases both the flow and the temp. They can't be controlled separately. The Faucet also has a lever to switch between the spout and shower but no shower head was ever installed. The drain control is part of the overflow rather than being on the spout. What are my options?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The spout, and the drain flange and the overflow plate with trip lever....this is standard stuff. You need to get the old ones out, because there are some options on thread diam, etc. But you will be able to replace all of these in almost any finish you choose.

The handle and trim plate on the valve....these are NOT generic. You must get pieces specifically for your brand and model of valve. If it is a major, like Moen, Delta, PricePfister....there will be parts available, and you will probably have some options on style and finish. The less common the brand, the more your choices diminish, possibly to ZERO.!

Post some pics and let us have a look.

omahan

Reaction score
The spout, and the drain flange and the overflow plate with trip lever....this is standard stuff. You need to get the old ones out, because there are some options on thread diam, etc. But you will be able to replace all of these in almost any finish you choose.

The handle and trim plate on the valve....these are NOT generic. You must get pieces specifically for your brand and model of valve. If it is a major, like Moen, Delta, PricePfister....there will be parts available, and you will probably have some options on style and finish. The less common the brand, the more your choices diminish, possibly to ZERO.!

Post some pics and let us have a look.

Jimbo
I was going to take some photos and found that my batteries are dead. I will try to post some tomorrow.

If I am not able to just replace the visible portion of the faucet I assume that means I will have to replace the vales in the wall. Can that normally be done with out expanding the hole that is there now? If I have to hire a plumber how big of a labor bill should I expect? Would it be just as easy then to change to a two handle model? I will be re-tiling so that is not a huge thing.
John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
questions

Your questions are disturbing since they imply that you are not up to speed on what you are doing. The drain control is ALWAYS either on the overflow or the tub outlet, NEVER on the spout. The make and model valve determines whether you can just replace the visible portions. Turning on by rotating clockwise is unusual, since anticlockwise is the common way to open a valve, but some valves, such as Kohler, do operate that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks