The power companies are pumping out Mercury into the environment
Using less electricity means they are pumping out less Mercury

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Rubbish, you can get more mercury from eating fish & tuna
The power companies are pumping out Mercury into the environment
Using less electricity means they are pumping out less Mercury

Rubbish or not check out what EPA has to say you are to do should one break. click here
I think this will make you look at them a little differently if the fact that the only place they are made is in China isn't enough to make you take notice.

Bottom line is they ain't worth the powder to blow them to h-----

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What things like are NOT made in China any more?

Don't get me wrong, I go out of my way to buy quality items and buy American when I can. It's just this is becoming nearly impossible any more.
. :mad:

A few months ago I read a book called " A year without Made in China". A family decided to live for a year without purchasing anything made in China. I bought the book with great anticipation that I would learn HOW to do that. The bottom line conclusion of the book was that you CANNOT reasonably do it. One example : she needed new sneakers for the 10 year old boy. After spending WEEKS shopping all over town, all over the internet, she did buy something online, from Sweden, for $70!
She went all summer without a fan in the hot southern summer, because her fan broke, and there are no fans made in the US, and even a repairman said he could fix it, but the parts are from China.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Coal contains a small amount of mercury and since half of our power (at least here in MN) comes from coal, you actually release less mercury over the average bulb lifetime by using a CFL compared to a regular light bulb. This is even true if the CFL is broken instead of being properly disposed of.

For references see Kwh per coal plant emissions along with CFL energy savings over it's average life expectancy.

To save even more buy a "cold cathode" CFL and use a motion sensor.

FYI: There are a lot of other products that contain mercury. old Thermostats, florescent lights, Tilt sensors, ignitrons, ect...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks