(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: energy efficient lights

Default energy efficient lights

I want to put energy efficient lights in our ceiling fan, I put some in my daughters, but it takes about 4-5 minutes for them to get up to full brightness.

Is there a certain kind i can get that does not do that?? Or a certain label to look out for??

Thanks

Barry

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Nope. They all do that. But they are worth it.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

What brand are you using?
    I use Nvision & Bright Effects
    While they are not immeditaley full power - they don't take 4-5 minutes
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Slow run up to full brightness tends to be a characteristic of electronic ballast instant start bulbs. But some, Philips or TCP I think, makes a line called "InstaBrite" try those.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

When they take the mercury out, then I will buy them!

Quote Originally Posted by 99k View Post
    When they take the mercury out, then I will buy them!
    You mean the same mercury that is in every flourescent bulb/tube including millions of work sites??
    Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 03-21-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you can find them on sale somewhere they may be an alternative, LED bulb replacments are instant on, and will might outlast you and the fixture you install them in....just that they are sooo expensive right now. http://www.smarthome.com/973141/C-Cr...ite-2CW/p.aspxIs an example of one, there are a lot of them out there.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

They just burn out. I did have one in which the ballast burned up in and melted the housing, but that was a no name brand and probably 6 years ago when they were first becoming widely available. If you're worried about the mercury, don't throw them away. The recycling center here takes them and I know there are places you can ship them if your local town doesn't.

All of mine are nvision and are instant on by the way. The only bulbs in the house that aren't CFL's are the GU10 bulbs in my recessed cans and the halogens in the motion light for the backyard. Even the flood lights for the track lighting are CFL's.

The LED bulb posted above is only equivalent to a 25 or 30 watt incandescent. I can't direct link to it, but SuperBrightLEDs.com has quite a few less expensive LED bulbs from edison screw base to MR16.
    I consider myself an accomplished DIY'er. I don't know everything but help where I can. I'm not a pro, but like to think I'm professional.

LED will be the bulb of the future. The US energy department has commited to that, but I think the drop dead date is 2015. By then the technology will have evolved, and the price will come down. Right now the cost of LED to replace a regular 40 watt bulb is $50 to $115, and the electrical savings would not pay that back if you lived to be a hundred!

So, I will stay with fluorescents until the government realizes they have created a mercury disaster that will make the Love Canal look like a tea party!

On the plus side, Home Depot has stepped up to the plate, and accepts all fluorescents for recycle from all comers. I do not go out of my way to recycle. Last weekend, my old microwave just went right in the dumpster, because I refuse to schlep that all over town. But HD stores are everywhere, and I AM a little concerned about mercury, so I will drop bulbs off there.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
    You mean the same mercury that is in every flourescent bulb/tube including millions of work sites??
    Yeah really. Work sites, homes, offices, stores, ............

There is entirely too much hype over these lamps.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I won't ever use them indoors, but, I do use them outside. I am wondering though when they do burn out, will they break or just burn out? I haven't had one go yet, but I do use one in the postlamp, front porch, and 3 flood lights.
    They just burn out, I have never had one break due to burning out. I have been using CFL's for about 15 years. I still have one of my original CFL's bulbs

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

anyone know where these CFL bulbs are made at?

Box I just looked at says Made in China

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
    Box I just looked at says Made in China
    Why am I not surprised?????????????

China is the only country that does not restrict the manufacturing process of these bulbs. They all are made in China so bare in mind that for every bulb you buy another American is starving to death because they can not find work.

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Why am I not surprised?????????????

China is the only country that does not restrict the manufacturing process of these bulbs. They all are made in China so bare in mind that for every bulb you buy another American is starving to death because they can not find work.
    And another chinese child will suffer brain damage from mercury poisoning.