soaking tubs with long leg lengths

Users who are viewing this thread

ted burke

Reaction score
Looking for a soaking tub with a basin bottom length of about 46". All tubs seem to be designed as whirlpools with space taken up for the motor/pump at expense of legroom. Does anyone make just a soaking tub? Need 3 wall alcove style; 60" by 32" by 18" high. Do not want to move a wall for a 66" tub.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I think Sterling/Kohler has one that can be ordered from a plumbing supply house...

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off with a longer tub...I went for a 6' one, and would be in heaven if I could have fitted a 7' one in there. Most of the manufacturers use the same casting for their soaking, air, jetted, or air/jetted tubs, and therefore, yes, restrict the length of the bottom.

ted burke

Reaction score
Thanks for replies. The longest Sterling, the Accord, is close at 46" but still not long enough. Are there any tub makers who just make 3-wall soaking tubs rather than soaking/whirlpools combos, which use up lengthwise space for the motor/pump. Have looked at all American Std, Kohler, Maax, Sterling, Jacuzzi models. Thanks

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Looking for a soaking tub with a basin bottom length of about 46". All tubs seem to be designed as whirlpools with space taken up for the motor/pump at expense of legroom. Does anyone make just a soaking tub? Need 3 wall alcove style; 60" by 32" by 18" high. Do not want to move a wall for a 66" tub.

Ted,
Jason International (The Jacuzzi family business) have a bunch of their tubs available as soaking tubs only, and they are even deeper.

The problem you are asking for is for more flat leg space. The reason it will be a problem is that they can only give more flat leg space by decreasing the angle of the back support, and making it closer to vertical.

That will be far more uncomfortable than having to bend your knees a bit.

All their tubs are available with a tile lip on any number of sides.

http://www.jasoninternational.com/products/search.aspx?HydroTherapyTypeId=1&LengthId=60&WidthId=32

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Almost everyone that makes whirlpool tubs sell them as soakers...think of it as a delete option.

ted burke

Reaction score
Thanks for suggesting 60" Jason Tubs. They say they only make combo soak/whirpool tubs and their longest basin length is 42", short of the 46" I'm looking for.

ted burke

Reaction score
Why 46" important? I'm 5'-11" with avg legs. My cheapo worn 1 piece 60" builder line bath/shower measures 47" at the basin and I can strengthed my legs out. With NO 60" tub that I know of can I do that.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Why 46" important? I'm 5'-11" with avg legs. My cheapo worn 1 piece 60" builder line bath/shower measures 47" at the basin and I can strengthed my legs out. With NO 60" tub that I know of can I do that.

Hi Ted,
At least with the extra depth on a Jason you'd be completely covered with water even with your legs slightly bent.

The problem, as I stated earlier, is that to make the flat area longer they need to decrease the back support angle, by bringing it closer to vertical.

I have no doubt that if you were to sit in either of these set-ups, having less reclining-angle would be far more uncomfortable than being able to straighten your legs.

But I'm 5'4", so what do I know?

HE

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I don't think you are reading the Jason specs properly...while they show the tubs with air and/or whirlpool, all (at least used to) are available without (i.e., as a soaker).

I find that I am much more comfortable with a nice slope at the rear which, as you've seen, shortens the 'floor' of the tub. This is one reason I opted to do the major rework to get a 6' tub (I'm about 6'2"). That 5' standard came about eons ago when the average person WAS shorter....just like kitchen counters at 36", designed for the average woman in 1950...people are taller now, and those standards are not a one size fits all. Bite the bullet and get a bigger tub, you'll be happier in the long run. BTW, I also raised all of my kitchen cabinets about 3", still not ideal for me, but better, and still marketable when the time comes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks