Anode Rod Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

41Fever

Reaction score
I have a seasonal cabin on untreated well water. We removed anode (to eliminate rotten egg smell) from previous heater and it lasted 18 seasons. Installed a new heater 2 years ago (also removing anode) during a remodel, and tank was leaking at the end of last season. Question is, what type of anode should I install to hopefully prolong the tanks life? Don't know if anode removal had anything to due with the short life or if they just do not make things like they used to! Appreciate any and all advice.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Have your water PH tested...what brand was the heater...it will be under warranty just get another I think it was just a bad heater...even Whirlpools (Cesspools) water heater tanks last longer than that...I would get a Rheem/Rudd heater...the GE heaters from Home Cheapo are Made by Rhem.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Most water heater manufactures warranty is void if you remove the anode rod and do not install a substitute one. It is the magnesium anode rods that react with the sulfur and other things in the water that create that rotten egg smell (magnesium sulfide) We get this at my mothers home she is on a well with softened water. We usually get about 5 years with out an anode rod. Just this last time I put in a new Bradford White water heater with an aluminum anode rod, it doesn't react to the sulfur so no rotten egg smell, and we hope she will get more than 5 years this time around. I hope this answered your questions and is of help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heaters

The manufacturer has ABSOLUTELY no idea if the anode rod was removed. If the heater leaks during the warranty period a plumber will be able to get it exchanged.

onealmr

Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is a whirlpool, then it will void your warranty. Call customer support and tell them you need the KA-90 Anode rod but don't tell them you removed it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The manufacturer has ABSOLUTELY no idea if the anode rod was removed. If the heater leaks during the warranty period a plumber will be able to get it exchanged.

Did a Rheem warranty today, Tank is 5 years old and 11 months. The supplier asked for the tank not just the data plate. He pulled the plug for the anode rod saw it was removed and said the warranty is void. This was not the first time I have been asked to return the tank. But I guess you can find a new supply house and a plumber to LIE for you and get it replaced under warranty. Or do Like I said install the aluminum rod in place of the magnesium rod so not to void the warranty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks