Tile setting - use of premix grout to level surface?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
I have a really small tiling job.

I have a concrete ledge sticking out from a brick wall. Its about 6' long, projects about 9 inches from the wall, and is about one brick high. It is the remains of a fireplace pit.

From left to right it is not level; on the right it is higher by 3/8".

It also slopes downwards a bit from the wall.

I bought a small container of colored pre-mixed adhesive/grout made from limestone & polymer

How thickly can I spread this stuff -- can I use it to level the surface as I set the tile, or do I really have to put on a skim coat of patching cement?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most pros consider the pre-mixed stuff junk and expensive. It stays soft in the bucket because it needs to dry out to do anything, and can re-emulsify if it gets wet again. It will take a LONG time to set that thick, under a porcelain tile, months. You'd be much better off with some real thinset for this and to set the tile. Note, though, you should do this is a couple of layers since it really is meant to be THINset. An alternative would be to buy a bag of medium set (often called granite and marble) mortar...it has more sand in it and can be installed up to about 1/2" thick (thus, the medium set as opposed to thinset). That can also be used to set whatever tile you want.

AcidWater

Reaction score
The premix was cheaper than a bag & colored too. Guess I'll have to do it the other way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks