kitchen faucet holt & cold water shuts off

Users who are viewing this thread

terri

Reaction score
kitchen faucet hot & cold water shuts off

Our house was built in 1956 with galvanized pipe. We've slowly been relacing it with copper as the sediment causes problems. A couple of years ago, we replaced the hot water heater which in turn, jerked some crud loose in the pipes and we ended up needing to run a new copper hot water line to the kitchen. A few months ago, my kitchen faucet started acting up - the sprayer wouldn't shut off or, when using the tap, the water would switch to the sprayer or just shut off. I read that it might be the displacement valve so I removed the sprayer and capped it and all has been well. Last week, the water started to run a little slow, so I cleaned out the aerator and it worked until the end of the day - and the water whether hot or cold runs slow, then you can hear and feel a slight bump and the water quits. I'm trying to figure out if it's a pipe problem or maybe an old faucet problem. We have great pressure and no other issues throughout the rest of the house. Also - no problems with the laundry which is directly beneath the kitchen. A faucet problem, I can tackle - but a pipe problem requires a professional. Please let me know!

Thanks

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

You capped the sprayer but apparently did not remove the diverter that made the spray work. It is still in the faucet and will still cut off the flow to the spout if something actuates it.

terri

Reaction score
you were right

thanks again - I took the opportunity to upgrade my faucet and everything is running smoothly again. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks