Brand New Washing Machine Hose Squirts Water Everywhere, What Am I Doing Wrong???????

Users who are viewing this thread

Military Jeeper

Reaction score
Everyone,

I'm at a complete loss!!! I just relocated my washing machine from the bathroom to the kitchen (I installed a stand-up shower in the bathroom and built a cabinet in the kitchen for the washer/dryer).

I've bought two Floodsafe Stainless Steel hoses, and a set of rubber hoses (all with the L bracket connection which connects to the washing machine side (total of 3 hose sets). All of them are gushing water from the L-Bracket connection which connects to the washing machine side.

The water supply side doesn't leak at all, but the washing machine side, with the L bracket literally POURS water out of the center of the connection. The ONLY thing I can think of is that the original hose (which has a plastic connection L bracket), which also connects to a plastic fitting which is permanently fixed to the washing machine is the problem since "ALL" of the hoses I've bought are metal threads on both ends, vice the original which is metal threads on the water side of the hose, and plastic threads on the washing machine side of the hose????

Is this the problem? Can I not connect a metal threaded hose to a plastic threaded connector? As I mentioned before, this is the 3rd hose that I've installed and none of them work except the original hose that came with the washing machine (metal on one end, plastic on other end). When I reinstall the original hose, no problems at all, when I install a new hose, it pours water from the center of the L bracket metal connection!!!!!!

If this is the case, where in the HELL can I find a 6 foot hose that is plastic on one end, and metal on the other so I can install my washing machine safely without worrying about flooding the apartment below mine.

I'm at a loss guys, please help!!!

Military Jeeper

Reaction score
The first picture is the original connection. Note that one side if plastic (washing machine side) and the other side is metal (water supply side:
IMG_2056.jpg

The second picture is the 3rd set of hoses I bought from Home Depot/Lowe's. All the aftermarket hoses I've bought have been metal threaded both sides:
IMG_2057.jpg

The third picture is of the L bracket shaped hose connection. Notice the center of the connection, where the L-bracket connects into the threaded portion. The water is gushing from the center where the two pieces connect (Yes, the washers are installed):
IMG_2058.jpg

Military Jeeper

Reaction score
Awe man!

You cross-threaded it and broke it!

Not good! Take pictures!

It's not cross threaded, it's not leaking from the threads. It's leaking from the connector where the L-bracket elbows into the metal threaded circular piece.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What brand of machine? I would not allow a hose with a plastic fitting on it in the SAME STATE, and certainly not inside my house. You are asking for a disaster on that.

I can only think that some off brand or import machine has non-standard threads on the inlet?? And maybe that is why only their hose works??

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Although it might be kinda hard, can you connect the 90 degree connection to the hot or cold supply and have the straight connection going to the washer¿ I realize why you are using the right angle hose, to gain extraspace (or are you¿ if not try a regular washer hose) Does it still leak at the 90 with them reversed¿

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hoses

Why aren't you using hoses with metal angle ends on them instead of the plastic ones. If it is leaking ANYWHERE except where it connects to the washing machine the hose is either not tight or it is defective.

Military Jeeper

Reaction score
Everyone,

The original hoses that were installed were made by Whirlpool (machine and hoses came together when I bought the machine). The original hoses that came with it, which have a plastic L-Bracket (90 degree bracket) don't leak at ALL.

The aftermarker hoses, all which are metal and have a L-Bracket (90 degree bracket) leak at the where the 90 degree bend is on the hose side that attaches to the washing machine.

Problem...............factory plastic one's don't leak, aftermarket metal ones do.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Sometimes the trouble is the socket on the new hoses are to deep so no matter how tight you tighten them you will not compress the washer. You can try doubling up a washer in the metal ends or find a thicker hose washer.

Military Jeeper

Reaction score
Sometimes the trouble is the socket on the new hoses are to deep so no matter how tight you tighten them you will not compress the washer. You can try doubling up a washer in the metal ends or find a thicker hose washer.

That's what I think the problem is personally, but I don't feel safe with doubling up washers as the resolve to the situation when I live in a condo and people live beneath me. Any other thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
See if you can find some that are thicker. Also, you could measure the depth of the OEM ones verses the new ones. It should be obvious if when screwing them on if you are bottoming out on the shell or compressing the washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks