Recommend an Electric Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Tenderpaw

Reaction score
My dad needs to replace his electric water heater. He currently has a Sears 6 year model that is about 12 years old. He is leaning toward a GE because I currently have a GE in my house that is about 5 years old in my house and it has been trouble free. I previously had a Sears Survivor unit and it was not a Survivor at all! What do you pro's recommend?

Thanks,

Dave

PlatonicSolid

Reaction score
I was just going to ask the same question, but seeing the incredible lack of responses to this thread, I guess I shouldn't bother.

T_Hartigan

Reaction score
I can recommend a Marathon Rheem electric water heater. I have one for several years and really like it.

Tim

PlatonicSolid

Reaction score
I found this on Consumer Reports and am now wondering if it would be worth my while to convert to gas instead:

"Look for a long warranty. Most cover 6, 9, or 12 years. Heaters with the lowest and highest warranties differ by just $60 to $80 for electric models and $50 to $100 for gas units. But we found much bigger differences inside.

Electric water heaters with 9- and 12-year warranties typically had larger heating elements, thicker insulation, and thicker or longer corrosion-fighting metal rods, referred to as anodes.

Most higher-warranty gas heaters had bigger burners and better heat transfer for faster water heating, along with more anode material and thicker insulation. An exception: Whirlpool’s 40-gallon gas heaters, whose 9- and 12-year models are identical inside.

Consider gas. Based on national average fuel costs, gas heaters cost roughly half as much to run as electric models and can pay for their higher up-front cost in as little as a year. Factor in the cost of running a gas line to your home if you don’t have one. Also consider adding insulation to hot-water pipes and the cold water pipe exiting the water heater.

Tankless water heaters save energy by heating only the water you draw. Many factors will dictate the energy savings including how much and how often you use hot water. However, our recent tests of tankless water heaters show that while they are more energy-efficient than conventional water heaters, they are not necessarily more economical over the long run."

(Consumer Reports Nov. 2007)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In most areas, gas is much cheaper than electricity to heat water. It is faster so you don't need as large of a tank. I have use both, never again will I even consider electricity so long as gas is a possibility.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks