Proprietary Faucet Supplies - Can I Solder in Copper Tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

mattbeme

Reaction score
I have noticed that many companies are using proprietary flexible supply lines on faucets.

1. Would it be possible to solder in good ol fashioned soft copper tubing stubs into the holes that the flex lines plug into?

2. I was thinking that if needed the holes could be drilled out a minimal depth with a bit with a diameter just big enough to push a copper tube into and then solder it in.

Sound do-able?

Matt B

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Bad, bad idea. Especially if you have to drill out a fitting to accomplish this. Just stick to tried and true compression fittings.

mattbeme

Reaction score
I should have been more specific.

I am talking about the main faucet/valve body into which the proprietary flexible lines plug into. The other end of these lines then screw onto the water supply shut-off valves.

The holes that these lines plug into are the ones I was wondering about soldering copper tubing into. Just like the way faucets used to be.

Matt B

--Notice the 2 braided lines with the long, narrow fittings at one end. These fittings go into the bottom of the 'valve body' of the faucet. Notice there are no copper tubing stubs with threaded adapters sticking out from under the faucet valve body - like faucets used to be made.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The only thing needed might be some plumbers grease on the o-rings. They should engage when pushed firmly in.

mattbeme

Reaction score
O Rings disintegrate quite rapidly with highly chlorinated water I believe.

The old system of having soldered-in tubing stubs was very strong and very reliable.

I need a new kitchen faucet with pull-out spray and I am not thrilled with seeing this new supply hose system on so many faucets.

Matt B

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just use the parts they send you.
Many faucet companies have been using o-rings for years.

Attachments

• viega.jpg
    viega.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connections

If "O" rings deteriorated rapidly from contact with water, MILLIONS of pipe connections are in trouble. They wear out from movement and those connections do not move once they are installed. You could create many more problems by drilling them out and soldering copper into them, than you would ever prevent by using the supplied fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattbeme

Reaction score
O Rings: some are in contact with water more than others and in different manners.

The rubber lined supply hoses on my water tank are rapidly disintegrating due to the highly chlorinated water (esp. a problem with chlorproamine)

Why is it that many rubber seals, o rings etc. seem to turn to an almost mushy goo within several years?

Matt B.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Matt,
You may as well just solder that puppy up.

We would love to see how that goes.
Please post pictures when you are done.

You still haven't convinced any plumbers that work with these every day though. Maybe it's just that we are so busy installing these things, and the fact that we have never been called back for a repair on them, that we just don't know enough about them.
So let's start with your faucet, and start experimenting with it.
Maybe there is a better way then what the German engineers have come up with.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
supplies

ALL we have to know about them is that if we use them the way they were supplied, they go together easily, and if we do not have future problems with them, there is no reason to go to the trouble of drilling them out and then soldering them together. IF we had to do that, we would IMMEDIATELY stop using that brand of faucet.

mattbeme

Reaction score
thanks guys. You've convinced me that I can trust these supply line systems.

I understand the frustration with what I was proposing but I have to say that more and more all the time my work in electronics and furniture and auto repair involves machining, adding braces, fixing cracks, re-welding, etc. etc. Why? because companies are altering the construction of so many products in an effort to increase their profit. Of course they like to call it the "new, improved design which will make the product better, safer and will help the environment". I don't accept any changes in design without great suspicion. You wouldn't believe how many expensive products I've had to fix because some minor part was cheapened yet $10 worth of hardware was all it often took to make them as strong and durable as things USED TO BE.
Failures are often not even noticed if they're hidden from view. Slow leaks from plumbing in out of sight places like dark, untidy cabinets can go unnoticed a long time.

Matt

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

quote; You wouldn't believe how many expensive products I've had to fix because some minor part was cheapened yet $10 worth of hardware was all it often took to make them as strong and durable as things USED TO BE.

$10.00? That would be a fortune if the item has a large production run. Manufacturers modify the product if they can do it for ten cents less per item.

mattbeme

Reaction score
$10 worth of hardware ..... that's $10 for the customer or myself! .... probably 25 cents for the manufacturer if they were to put the proper part on.

Matt

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks