DWV Layout and I'm Clueless

Users who are viewing this thread

DrCarrico

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm doing a remodel of my home and need to re-do the plumbing for a bathroom. I have no clue as to how to set up my DWV and any layout advice other than it needs to slope towards the "way out of the house" would be extremely helpful. I'm trying to save a few bucks by doing it myself due to a "possible" upcoming layoff. JOY! Here is a picture of what I have going so far.

Attachments

• Guest Bath.jpg
    Guest Bath.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 306

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I realize you are trying to save some money, but a project of this magnatude, without some basic plumbing knowledge, is more likely to get you into trouble and end up costing more in the long run than hiring a plumber would cost. Without being there and seeing the framing layout and job conditions there is really no way anyone can give you a defininative plan.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If you are doing a remodel of the whole home then tackle something else. Leave the piping layout and work to a professional plumber. An appropriate place to start plumbing skills might be to install the fixtures once the plumbing (DWV piped and water stubbed out) is in place.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really matters what access you have. Is this on a slab, single story, first floor, second floor, accessable from the basement? Which way do the joists run? How deep are they? What is the level of the drain line to the sewer?

A toilet needs at least a 3" drain, the shower a 2", and the sink can use a 1.5". Each of them needs to be vented separately, but you don't need three new holes in the roof. Is there another floor where something is being dumped into the stack (i.e., is is a drain from upstairs)?

All of these things will affect what needs to be done...there is no one single, simple answer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

You do not know what you are doing, or how to do it, and will not get much smarter with a few e-mails. What you have drawn tells us NOTHING about what can be done to install it. If you cannot afford a plumber, don't do it until you can. If you are about to be downsized, save ALL your money until you are sure you will not need it to survive. You WILL survive without this bathroom, I am sure of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks