sand point replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

farther north

Reaction score
I plan on pulling my sand point and replacing it.
Can I drive the sand point into the same hole, where the old one was removed; or do I have to move it over a little bit and start a new hole?

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Why do you need or want to pull it?
If it's very deep it may be hard to get out. The sand acts like a vise.
If it's pvc, you take a big chance on pulling the screen apart.
If it's all steel, it may come out, or at least you have a better chance on getting it out.

Travis

farther north

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting water.
I live about 50 feet from the lake (flowage). They drained the flowage down to nothing; and I have a big muddy mess, which use to be a lake.
Either I have a plugged up screen or the water table is to low.
The pipe 1 1/2" is steel. What everyone around here says is the point is about 15 to 20 feet deep.
Before I start this project. I want to know what I can and can't do.
I don't know if I should pound it down more or pull it.
But my best guess is that the point is about 25 years old.
So, I'm thinking it is plugged.
Thanks for your help!

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
If it is plugged, you may be able to clean it out.
That is assuming, the water has not gone down to far for your well.

You can use compressed air to blow the well out.
Run a 1/2" pipe down to the bottom of the well, and use a compressor to blow the water out. Do this 10 to 20 times. You may be able to see if the water flow improves or not. If the water has dropped lower than you well point, it may not do any good.

There is a product called (new-well). It is used to rehabilitate old wells. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You would need to talk to a well supply house to it's proper use. It is a type of acid, and caution should be used.

As for going deeper. The sand that your well is set in, may not go any deeper than it is now.
You should check the depth of your well, and compare it to other close by.
If others are 15' to 25', and yours is 25'. Chances are not in your favor that going deeper will do any good at all.

Just some thoughts I had.
Hope it help some.

Travis

Speedbump

Reaction score
I like Nu-Well, but it has to be followed with lots of water to dissolve and activate the tablets for hours after putting them in the well.

Pounding down on the well a foot or two might make it start producing again, but may also be somewhat temporary.

Pulling it is going to be a challenge, but is possible. I have done a ton of them when I was young and stupid.

bob...

farther north

Reaction score
I heard of Nu-well but can not locate any in Wisconson.
What does this do?
I having a hard time navigating and locating things on this web site.
So, if I don't find you again.
Thanks for your help

farther north

Reaction score
sand point

Thanks to you all.
You all been a help!
But no one answered my first question.
If I pull the sand point; can I put the new one down the same, whole that the old one was in?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Going back down the same hole is totally not recommended. The water bearing material on the outside of the well screen can be just as plugged up as the well screen. I would place a new well a minimum of 5' away from the old one. Before installing a new well, you should check with your local board of health concerning regulations.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Speedbump

Reaction score
We used to do it all the time.

Sammy is right, the junk that built up in the sand around the old screen is still there in the same place the old screen was. You will still see a large difference in the wells production though. You could also drive it a few feet further to get into some fresh sand, if it will go deeper without going out of the vein.

bob...

farther north

Reaction score
sand point

Well, thank you all for the help.
When the weather warms up I'm going to try some of your suggestions.
First try to blow the screen clean.
Then try driving it down more.
Then I guess I will have to replace it.
To put it 5 feet away from where it is now may not work. It would put the pipe out in the open and may cause freezing in the winter.
It has to stick out of the ground 1 foot.
That would put the pipe 7 feet from the house and in the open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks