(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathroom Sink drain pipe

DIY Junior Member

Default Bathroom Sink drain pipe

Hey guys. I've spied your site before but this is my first time joining and posting. I'm putting a new bathroom sink in that will be open underneath. My wife and I want to change out the trap pipe thats been there forever with a better looking one (no PVC either). The existing P trap (I believe that's the correct term) appears to be within a copper fitting right at the tile wall. I need to know how to remove it so I can put the new one in.

The old one is too short and also very ugly, otherwise I would leave it alone. See the picture below. I tried to pull the pipe out with channel locks and slightly dented it.

No picture, but it may be soldered in.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

That is called a solder bushing. It threads into a threaded fitting in the wall and the trap arm is soldered into the bushing.

DIY Junior Member

Thanks guys. Do you think I can turn that coupling and unthread it then heat the coupling to remove the P trap and put in a new one?

That actually looks like a hub of a DWV brass fitting with a sweat bushing for the trap. You would be better off trying to un sweat that.
    I'd Rather Be FISHIN'

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

I would first verfiy you have iron or steel pipe in the wall if it is copper dwv, then that fitting is sweated in place as well. If there is threaded iron pipe in the wall, we normaly cut the trap arm off then use a saw to cut the brass fitting out of the iron pipe threads. Then install a male brass trap adaptor in its place.

Default connection

The picture is too out of focus to tell what you have there. It does not look like any solder bushing I have ever seen, (there does not seem to be solder between it and the trap's arm), nor does it look like a regular slip joint connection.