(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water softener question

Default Water softener question

I have a dual tank water softener. Teh cover says Culligan but its a Fleck 9000 valve. Anyway, it works very well, but my question is, how do the 'non salt' water conditioners work? I cannot find ANY info online on how they actually work for me to make my own assessment as teo whether they are snake oil or what.

Whats the deal with them? Ive always had a salt style, and it...well...works, always. Can someone tell me how the unit work that do not use any salt?

They are not "softeners" because they don't remove any hardness, they are supposed to make water act as if it is softened but they usually don't do that or not much. Those that do allow a whitish film all over surfaces the water is allowed to dry on. So I say don't waste your money and continue your softener that works.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

haha....yes, i figured that was my first guess.

Im not in the market for a new one. This one is close to 10 years old and hasnt given me any trouble knock on wood. When it craters, I intend on getting another Fleck dual tank model....or rebuild it.

Previous member

I always thought the non salt units (unless they were magnets) were the units that used Pottassium Chloride instead of Calcium Chloride. Cute sales trick played on unsuspecting consumers by snake oil salesmen.

bob...

Previous member

I think you meant to say "sodium chloride"?
    I think your right!

bob...