Why does light bulb blow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Why would a bulbs in a light fixture suddenly start blowing when you turn it on? I suppose that means there's a short in the system, but why would one develop suddenly? We've been using this light fixture for many, many years, and never had problems with the bulbs blowing out, but in the last month, we've had to change the bulb three times. How could a short develop when you've not done anything but turn a light on and off?

Blumengarten

Reaction score
What kind of a fixture is it?
Has anyone touched any wiring in the house?

It's a single bulb in a hanging light fixture with one socket. It's plugged into a wall outlet. The fixture was re-wired about three years ago, but the bulb's just started blowing out these past few weeks.

TedL

Reaction score
Do you have a V-O-A meter? If not, get one and check the voltage between the center "button" and the outer shell.

Even a $2 sale meter from Harbor Freight will be good enough for what you need. Elsewher, you'll pay $10 - 15.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"shorts" not likely to blow bulbs. This could be a symptom of an open neutral problem. I would have a good electrician give your house the once over,.

Blumengarten

Reaction score
are your bulbs old ?

No, I've been using new bulbs each time!

Do you have a V-O-A meter? If not, get one and check the voltage between the center "button" and the outer shell.

Even a $2 sale meter from Harbor Freight will be good enough for what you need. Elsewhere, you'll pay $10 - 15.

$2 I can afford!

"shorts" not likely to blow bulbs. This could be a symptom of an open neutral problem. I would have a good electrician give your house the once over,.

I was thinking of doing that eventually since I plan on renting this house out come summer -- it's my deceased mother's house which I inherited, I want to make sure everything's safe before I rent it out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks