(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Why does light bulb blow?

  1. #1
    DIY Member Blumengarten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    55

    Default Why does light bulb blow?

    Why would a bulbs in a light fixture suddenly start blowing when you turn it on? I suppose that means there's a short in the system, but why would one develop suddenly? We've been using this light fixture for many, many years, and never had problems with the bulbs blowing out, but in the last month, we've had to change the bulb three times. How could a short develop when you've not done anything but turn a light on and off?

  2. #2
    DIY Senior Member TedL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NY Capital District
    Posts
    604

    Default

    What kind of a fixture is it?
    Has anyone touched any wiring in the house?

  3. #3
    DIY Member Blumengarten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TedL View Post
    What kind of a fixture is it?
    Has anyone touched any wiring in the house?
    It's a single bulb in a hanging light fixture with one socket. It's plugged into a wall outlet. The fixture was re-wired about three years ago, but the bulb's just started blowing out these past few weeks.

  4. #4

    Default

    are your bulbs old ?

  5. #5
    DIY Senior Member TedL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NY Capital District
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Do you have a V-O-A meter? If not, get one and check the voltage between the center "button" and the outer shell.

    Even a $2 sale meter from Harbor Freight will be good enough for what you need. Elsewher, you'll pay $10 - 15.

  6. #6
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    "shorts" not likely to blow bulbs. This could be a symptom of an open neutral problem. I would have a good electrician give your house the once over,.

  7. #7
    DIY Member Blumengarten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    are your bulbs old ?
    No, I've been using new bulbs each time!

    Quote Originally Posted by TedL View Post
    Do you have a V-O-A meter? If not, get one and check the voltage between the center "button" and the outer shell.

    Even a $2 sale meter from Harbor Freight will be good enough for what you need. Elsewhere, you'll pay $10 - 15.
    $2 I can afford!

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    "shorts" not likely to blow bulbs. This could be a symptom of an open neutral problem. I would have a good electrician give your house the once over,.
    I was thinking of doing that eventually since I plan on renting this house out come summer -- it's my deceased mother's house which I inherited, I want to make sure everything's safe before I rent it out!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •