S-trap to P-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

dhla

Reaction score
Am a complete plumbing novice, but am generally handy around the house, so not afraid to tackle a project.

Here is the drain from our bathroom sink. I don't think it should be configured with an "S" trap. Is it a big issue or shall I leave it?

If I want to reconfigure it as a "P" trap, would appreciate any advice. Notably: see that the drain-out does not line up perfectly with the drain from the sink - assume I need to use a 90-degree elbow, but appreciate any suggestions.

Also, since this is ABS, assume I need to replace ABS S-trap with ABS P-trap, correct? Don't mix ABS and PVC?

Any other tips, suggestions, etc. appreciated.

Attachments

• Strap.jpg
    Strap.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 6,165

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm no there, but to me, from the angle of the picture it appears you can do the following:

1) Cut the downturned elbow off the pipe coming out of the wall. replace it with a 45 degree fitting facing towards the trap.

2) Take the tailpiece off the sink and replace it with a longer one.

3) Off of the new longer tailpiece, install your new P trap and connect the outlet to the 45 coming out of the wall.

**It also appears you have PVC in the wall already. It looks like its been plastered in. Kind of weird. Anyway, if you do it the above way, you'll be taking out all of the ABS anyway. Just replace everything in PVC.

Last edited:

TedL

Reaction score
Note that PVC is white to cream colored; ABS is black. Quagmire's observation is based on the color; if it's black pipe with white paint on it, it's ABS. That determines the new adapter you should solvent weld onto it, and the cement to use.

dhla

Reaction score
No worries on posting the picture. The pipe coming out of the wall is ABS - it just has plaster or paint splattered on it giving it that white look.

OK - so cut it out and follow the directions given above - 1 45 degree elbow, a longer drain pipe and a P-trap and I should be good?

Thanks for weighing in...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Does the white section of that pipe go up higher before going into the wall?
Or, does it go straight in?

Last edited:

dhla

Reaction score
It goes both higher and lower - the pipe going toward the wall hits another pipe that goes both up and down. Not sure how else to describe it.

What would be the issue?

dhla

Reaction score
Here you go. For the record, I think the white stuff is plaster or paint or mud... I believe the pipe is ABS.

Am curious what the issue is vs the previous advice - or what the potential issue is... thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Strap Wall.jpg
    Strap Wall.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,413

gss01

Reaction score
that looks like the vent that goes up and the drain that goes down. No problem there, right? As long as that's a sanitary tee, it should be easier to work with being that the pipe is exposed and easier to access.

Last edited:

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks fine to me. I'd try and scratch off some off that paint/plaster and see if the pipe is PVC or ABS. Looks like ABS from here.

dhla

Reaction score
It's black underneath the stuff... so ABS.

So - does the advice remain as originally posted above?

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Wow. What a mess!

That doesnt look like a san tee. Might as well fix that while you are at it.

Make sure that plaster isnt doing anything bad to the pipe.(I dont think it is, but you never know!)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks