Shower surround installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
We have a tile walled shower stall with a fiberglass pan in our main bath. The pan is in excellent shape, but the tile doesn't work for us. Is it okay to install a 3-piece fiberglass surround over the tile, or must the tile be removed first? Will the adhesive stick to the tile? One manufacturer I found says not to do this, and others have not said one way or another. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The biggest hassle would be getting the tile clean enough (all of the sealer, soap scum, etc) off for an adhesive to stick. If you could be sure of that, then you could probably find an adhesive that would work. You'd need one thatwould stick to the glaze on the tile - maybe a good silicon? My unprofessional opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
surround

Most of the stick on surrounds do not have a "bull nose" edge that would wrap around the tile where it ends at the wall, so those tile lines would still be visible after the surround was installed.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
wall surround adhesives.

You can glue directly onto the tile ,

all it has to be is dry and clean

DO NOT use the liquid nail brand of bath adhesive....

the stuff is terrible and seems to actually warp the plastic

surround , it takes a few days to actually see the damage

I have ruined a few this way and learned the hard way not

to use the stuff..

the best stuff I have found that seems to be very easy to
use is clear dap ALEX siliconized caluk 35 year warranty

possibly get a few tubes of silicone too for around the
very outside edjes of the plastic to make it more water proof.

just lay it on thick and you cant go wrong.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Appreciate all the feedback. One related question: Can I butt the edges of the panels to the door framework and then caulk as usual, or is it recommended that I remove the door and frame, then install the panels, and reinstall the door over the top?

The reason I ask is because of the lack of the bullnose that hj mentioned. The existing tiles actually protrude out from the door frame, and I can live with them being exposed outside the door, especially if I don't have to pull out the door/frame. I suppose if it's a better installation to install the door over the panels, I could just trim them flush with the outside edge of the frame and caulk the exterior joint, thus leaving the tiles exposed anyway. That way the bullnose wouldn't matter...

Thoughts anyone?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks