Case 62-8 (5164) Ballcock problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Larbo

Reaction score
My 1927 home has a Case 6000 lowboy toilet with a Case 5164/ 62-8 ballcock assy. I have been servicing them (I actually have 2 old toilets) for many years but have become stumped over a probem. Lately, the toilet was having a problem with running slightly after it fills, so I changed the seat, the plunger rubber, and the ball (#252).

Now, the ballcock groans when it is first flushed, it softly moans when it shuts off and the ball drops too early (premature something-or-other :) ) so it cannot get a complete flush.

I tried adjusting the volume control but that, honestly, seems to do nothing. Angle stop is fully open. Everything is well lubed and is visually working as it should. I never have understood how the drop rate of the ball is controled but I think it has something to do with a diverter valve.

Anyway, does this scenario ring a bell? Thanks for you input, Lar

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
62-b

When I service them, I replace the entire plunger assembly, the seat, and the plastic disc. The stem may be getting corroded and tight so it does not open rapidly. The ball controls the diverter valve, not the other way around. If you have the tank ball with the loop that the handle goes through, then if the handle drops too quickly, it could push the ball closed.

Larbo

Reaction score
Hi hj, thanks for the observations.

If you have the tank ball with the loop that the handle goes through, then if the handle drops too quickly, it could push the ball closed.

I do have the tank ball with the rod that has a square "loop" on top. The sequence of events is that the flush handle pushed up a lever attached to the top of the diverter valve assy. This in turn raised the tank ball and operates the diverter valve. The tank ball then kind of hovers and as it slowly drops down (I assume with the water level) it rotates the diverter valave and returns it to its standby position. All works like it supposed to except that I don't quite get a full flush. :confused:

I will check the plunger again and get back to you. Thx, Lar

Last edited:

Larbo

Reaction score
I had put a little silicone grease on the plunger and I wiped all that off. Seems to flush a little more completely now but it does still groan and moan.

You mentioned that though the tank ball operates the diverter valve and not the other way around. I see that now. You also say
If you have the tank ball with the loop that the handle goes through, then if the handle drops too quickly, it could push the ball closed.

The handle does not go though the loop. There is a balanced lever on the top of the "diverter tube" that gets pushed up by the handle to start the flush. I wonder if I could add a little more counter weight on that lever to delay the dropping of the tank ball by just a little. Hmmm.

Your thoughts? Thanks!

Larry

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flush

What I have done in a few cases was carefully bend that brass "stem" that sticks up, backwards a little bit so it has to move further before it falls and pushes the ball closed. The danger in so doing, however, is that it could snap off in the process of bending it.

Larbo

Reaction score
Whoa, you are the gambler!! I will try the counterweight first and the bendy method second. :)

But it does sound like you've been there before.

Thanks, Larry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks