Chimney Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikeyboy

Reaction score
My 1960s home has two chimneys where the previous owner seemed to re-stucco both chimneys for appearance right before we bought the house. On the furnace chimney, the stucco has fallen off. I had a few chimney companies come out for estimates and they are recommending to install a new stainless steel liner for $1,200. Is that a good price?

Also, they plan to chip off all cement from the furnace chimney and apply a "duro-seal" stucco. They say this "duro-seal" does not require wire to be placed around the chimney which the previous owner seemed to cut out in the face-lift. They seemed to just apply mortar around the chimney. They are offering a 10 year warranty on this product. Has anyone heard of this "duro-seal"?

Finally, the cement surrounding the fireplace chimney is still looking good but they are recommending to spray a water sealant type from chimsaver.com to prevent any cracking since they believe that there is no wire behind the existing cement based on the furnace chimney. They are offering a 7 year warranty on that application. Has anyone heard of this chimneysaver? Will it work? I'm afraid in a year or two, my chimney cement will fall off too so why not stop it before it gets there.

Please comment since I know nothing about chimneys and I dont want to get ripped off...Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks