pressure reducing valve/relief

Users who are viewing this thread

Hidden 1

Reaction score
Hi i have installed a pressure reducing valve on the main inline .there is a backflow valve at meter.there is also a expansion tank on cold at water heater..is 55 on prv and 45 -tank about where it should be?...its a 2 gal exp tank and heater is 50 gal.

I later found that a single T in main line to cold washer -stand alone(no where else)has been installed in a difficult to get to area.I am getting 85 psi sometimes 120 from the line pressure-in -this valve only.

Can I place a pressure relief valve (BPV-watts)between the outlet and hose connection and have empty to drain right there 3 inches away? and what psi if it is an option(they make an ajustable one)?
Would a washer arrestor give it a bit of relief during the on/off shut offs or work as a cushion to the spikes?

Any info or new ideas are appreciated

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Per the linked instructions below the precharge of the tank should equal the system pressure. With the PRV set at 55 PSI. the precharge should be set at 55 PSI as well.http://www.watts.com/pdf/1915356.pdf

As for the laundry line a pressure relief valve won't do anything for the pressure. It will just discharge a lot of water. You either need to install a second PRV or decommission the line and run a new one from after the existing PRV.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
relief

I later found that a single T in main line to cold washer -stand alone(no where else)has been installed in a difficult to get to area.I am getting 85 psi sometimes 120 from the line pressure-in -this valve only.

Can I place a pressure relief valve (BPV-watts)between the outlet and hose connection and have empty to drain right there 3 inches away? and what psi if it is an option(they make an ajustable one)?
Would a washer arrestor give it a bit of relief during the on/off shut offs or work as a cushion to the spikes?
If you just install a pressure relief valve, and the pressure increases above its setting, it will discharge FOREVER, or at least until the pressure drops whenever that happens. You need to either relocate your PRV, or install an additional one. As a practical matter the initial air charge in the tank is somewhat irrelevent as long as it is considerably less than the relief valve setting, but the ideal setting is somewhere below system pressure since as soon as the water is turned on the air will stabilize at the system pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hidden 1

Reaction score
thanks for the info.
so i should set tank at 52 or53 if the regulator is set at 55?...

will the water hammer arrester cushon the spike during off/on cycles and when not in use also, with washer ? and protect the seals...I would rather just turn it off ,on -or disconnect ,as needed -with that spicket if there is no other simple route.
and with a inline relief valve why wont that keep the pressure at a ok norm -going to washer after relief.if i can set it correctly (using an ajustable one) even if a hair high at 80psi it should keep the spike from hitting machine if say opens at 90. Id just tee off out spicket to cold washer with release lead to drain-3 inches away,.and if i loose some water its not going to hurt me..i use very little water anyway.
any info is appreciated

Hidden 1

Reaction score
And worst case scenerio i can tap into the cold line coming up to water heater (regulated already 55)--connect seperately to that cold valve , and cap off old one that was linked before main,but was hoping to go another route since its just 1 seperate line ,and all the rest are after regulator.It stays off mostly .its stating at 65 all day today though..more main local use i guess.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to shut the water valve to the washing machine off when not using it. A hammer arrester will help keep pipes and hoses from seeing spikes. You really want to lower the pressure to the whole house. It might be useful to keep higher pressure to the outside if you were trying to supply multiple sprinkers, but it hard on the valves...better to use zones if the pressure isn't enough.

mini_resters.jpg

The one on the left is for a washer.
The one in the center can be soldered onto a tee.
The one on the right can be used inline like for a lav supply or an icemaker line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personaly I add about 2# less pressure in the Exp. tank so the bladder is partaly expanded...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks